Deck choice, Railing Spacers, Scupper holes?

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In the near future I will be replacing the deck on my 20' Bassy Buggy. I'm thinking PlyDek XL plywood. Good choice? The next issue is the lower part of the railing is solid and bolts tight to the floor. The only place water has to run off is under the 3 doors all located forward. If the stern is a little heavy the water from a hard rain or such can pond in the back section of the boat with no where to go. My thinking, when I put the railing back on I could put a 1/4 or 1/2 inch spacer between the deck and railing. Another idea is drilling scupper holes in the floor of the deck. I am looking for comments, ideas or suggestions? Thank, Mitch

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Re: Deck choice, Railing Spacers, Scupper holes?

Mitch, the PlyDec is great. Why don't you use your deck drops for the spacer, as well; just trace the brackets and cut them with a jig or other appropriate cutting tool. For the scuppers, use ones with a flap and put the flap on the underside of the deck to prevent undersplash from getting in while underway. Sounds like you've got this licked;)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I dont have them on mine yet but i am planning on adding the rail spacers , those that have added them love them

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Richard, thanks for the confirmation on the Plydek. Larry, the spacer kit looks like the ticket.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do these spacers reduce the stability of the railing/walls at all? Thinking that by greatly reducing the contact area of the railing foundation, the whole railing may have more flex to it. Anyone encounter that?

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Nope. My toon was built with the spacers, and she's solid as a rock. One note: Water can come IN under those gaps, as well as flow out. We keep everything in plastic tubs under the seats.

jessp

Cadet

We keep everything in plastic tubs under the seats.[/QUOTE]

I went that way but was big mistake. Tossed them when I bought the seating, much better.

rogerwa

Commander

My old boat had the same problem. It eventually doomed my carpet and furniture. My new boat has the vinyl flooring with risers under the rails and the seating is all raised up as well.. When it rains the water just flows right on through. In my view it is the only way to go to keep your boat from deteriorating (mine stays in the water 6 months of the year)