Installing a fuel filter

Kenisfishing

Recruit
I have a 1987 Bayliner with a 350 chev engine. Currently I still have the original fuel pump installed, and have purchased a Holley electric fuel pump. I do not know what I need to wire it up and disconnect the old pump. I fear that one day while out fishing (done a lot around the seattle area), the existing pump will fail. The boat had come with a 305, but 4 years ago, we put the 350 in. The boat runs well, just looking to upgrade the pump. The biggest question is the wiring needed to make it all work. Any help out there? :) <br /><br />Thanks<br />Ken

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installing a fuel filter

Ken, welcome to iboats :) Why an electric pump? Stick with the origial configuration. I say stick with the O.E.M. or a direct after replacemet. That is what your engine was designed to work with......A dual diaphragm pump will give you notice if it is about to fail.... And is the new pump marine rated? If it is not, return it and get the right part....You will not get any better performance from an electric one and you may throw off your engines performance by adding to much p.s.i.....JK

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I have to agree with JK. The reason carbed engines (boat and aircraft) use mechanical pumps is reliability. USCG regs state that after the engine driven fuel pump, the fuel lines can't be rubber. You're redesigning a fuel system that's been proven for how many years?

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Buy a spare mechanical one ond pit it in the boat with a 1/2 and 9/16 wrench and a small tub of grease. Doent take much to swap the fuel pump. I can do my 350 in about a half hour. Just dont forget the grease. The shaft is a bitsh if you dont have a bit of grease to hold it up in the block. Cheap insurance if you are worried about the old one.