rubber vent tubes on volvo dp-c torn ??

brian wig

Cadet
hi all i have a 1993 volvo 572a dp-c and it has two rubber tubes on each side that come out and go down at a 90 degree then are closed on the end they are on each side of drive one of the tubes is ripped and was pointed straight up is this a serious problem and where can i find a replacement thanks so much

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: rubber vent tubes on volvo dp-c torn ??

Can you post a picture of the tubes, I don't recall the DP-C having idle relief hoses., only cast ports.

brian wig

Cadet

they are about an inch in diameter and go in hull of boat to the left and right of drain plug just a little above and to the left and right of drain plug if i lift the hood i can see them only the drain plug hole they come out and point straight down and a re pinched shut on the ends i will try to post pic later if you need it but am at work right now they are a real flimsy rubber

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a DP-D1 and when I bought the boat both of my tubes were kinda ragged. I ran them that way for a season and I have no clue how long they had been in that shape when I purchased the boat. I did replace them but only because I removed the engine, transmission housing and outdrive for an upgrade to a newer engine. I'm not an expert who can say if the damage to your tubes will casue any harm, but I can tell you this. You are looking at a major job just getting to where you can see the backside of those tubes. If it were me, I would first find out how important the integrity of those tubes really is. If you find ou they must be replaced to avoid damage I would get myself and my wallet ready to do a lot of work to that boat right down to painting the bilge while you have the engine out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ok, now it makes sense, I was looking it up under drive section, and it made them look like they were cast in and didn't show them as separate parts. They did change to cast, but it was later.
Those hoses can be completely ripped off, and it won't affect how the boat runs, they do act like exhaust flappers, but the hole is so small I wouldn't worry about them.
You do have to remove the engine and exhaust Y to replace them, as the flange on the end of those elbows are what seals the Y pipe to the transom shield.

You can order them right here at iboats. http://www.volvopentastore.com/Exha...on_id.899883831--store_id.366--view_id.767449