1 engine, 2 boats?

drwgblanks

Seaman
Ok, I'm in a bit of a dilemna. I know this question has been asked a million times concerning the engine swap, yet mine may be a little more of a unique question. I have a 1978 19.5 aquasport with a 2.5 mercruiser engine and alpha outdrive. There is a cracked piston in the engine and the outdrive is olllllld. Something caused this problem therefore I don't trust a rebuild. Ok, so here's the problem, i've been looking for a replacement engine but money is running out. I also have a 1997 bayliner with the 3.0 merc and alpha outdrive. This boat is pretty nice and i've added wakeboarding tower etc. Well wakeboarding season is coming to a close,and fishing is here. So how stupid would it be to "borrow" the engine and outdrive for the fall, winter, and spring(for the aquasport) from the bayliner till I can find something bigger for the aquasport next year? <br /><br />Am I losing my mind? Would I be causing unneccessary problems for myself? How much expense if I did everything but align the engine? The bayliner is way too small to run out in the mouth of the river here, and also the ocean.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1 engine, 2 boats?

Welcome to iboats :) I would think it would be doable, but not that easy. There would be some swapping going on. Stick around and you'll some of the real experts to give you a definitive answer. Youn will have to align it though, that's for sure.....JK

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would think that the '97 is an Alpha I Gen II and the earlier outdrive is Alpha I Gen I. If so, doesn't this mean that he would need to swap the transom plate if he wanted to use the newer drive?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Yes, most definitely.....I thought we were talking engines, not drives, but you are right, Gen I & Gen II don't mix.....JK

drwgblanks

Seaman

Dag, you guys are quick to respond. Thank you. Anyway, I was talking about taking the engine and outdrive off the bayliner, and putting them on the aquasport. Also, this aquasport would still be pretty underpowered I think, so I will be wanting to put the i/o back in the bayliner next summer. Then search for a bigger engine and outdrive for the aqua. I was just wanting to be able to use the aquasport for the winter. Too much trouble?

vipzach

Lieutenant

I am with JK, it would be alot of trouble, because the gen 1 and gen II don't bolt up the same way. <br /><br />If you are looking for a bigger motor for the aquasport, you have alot of work ahead of you too. The transom will have to be modified to get the bigger motor and drive bolted up.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Didn't you know bayliners scare fish!!!! :D :D <br /><br />I would think you would want to look for your repower in the winter when things slow down in the boating world and better deals are to be had.<br /><br />I would just fish from the good boat this winter while concentrating on fixing up your fishing rig at the same time.

drwgblanks

Seaman

Yeah, i have been fishing from the bayliner. It's tight. The tower and the seating are in the way. Also, have you ever been in a 17 ft bayliner in 3-8 ft sea's? It's pretty damn frightening..lol. I live on the Neuse River in NC. We took it (bayliner) out drum fishing Friday night with Tropical Storm Ophilia blowing NE winds up the river...causing 3-4 ft whitecapping swells. The joke on the boat was (we thought we were about to sink it and die)..."man, it could be worse, we could be on a bayliner". Anyway, I appreciate you guy's input. I didn't think it would be that much of a chore, but evidentally it is. So what do you mean by the transom plate? The gimbal housing? Or are you talking about the plate on the interior of the engine compartment? I guess this wouldn't be a 1 or 2 day task? Also, I assume it's one of those "leave well enough alone" things. I would be a little worried that I might be stirring up something, but I was willing to do it if you guys thought it wasn't a bad idea.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I lived for 13 years in Ft Lauderdale and we used to go out in the Atlantic in a 15.5' tri hull with a little 55 HP Chrysler outboard. Ahh, those were the days! :cool: (As my good friend always said, "if you're going to be dumb, you have to be tough.") So I can appreciate the desire to be out in a larger boat when the waves act up. ;)

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My experience in the ocean is limited but I do have a few trips out into the Gulf Stream in 6 foot nice easy swells off of the Miami caost in a 16ft Boston Whaler center console completely open with a Johnson 90. 8 miles out in those swells is something you dont forget. It wasnt rough, dont get me wrong (except where the inter coastal merged with the ocean outlet and the tide currents WOW) but climbing those sweel was a bit like driving up (and then down) a mountain. Kinda makes you feel small and insignificant. I cant imagine some the stuff I see kicked up the Hurricanes and Tropical storms!!

drwgblanks

Seaman

Thanks Mr. Bill :D . I was just going to ask if there were anymore opinions. Thanks everybody. I just thought it would be a cheap way out being I'm a little down on cash this year. Btw, that bayliner is called a 17.5, but it actually measures 16'8". I think I'd rather be in the boston whaler. Man I really want my ol' boat on the water. She's pretty much a "blue-water boat", closed-bow, with a bit of teak here and there. Wish me luck finding another way to repower. :(

drwgblanks

Seaman

hi everybody, I'm back again.

So, it's almost exactly a year later. I want that damn aquasport in the water. I still have the Bayliner. Here's the deal. The Bayliner is a 1997 with about 450 hrs on the engine. It's valued high retail at about 6900 with the tower. But as of this year, the vinyl all has to be replaced and there is a soft spot in the floor. She runs beautifully though. And it's still a great looking boat. I've been quoted about 1200 for new vinyl. So I'm looking at probably selling it for about 5000 without replacing the vinyl if I'm lucky enough to find someone willing to buy it that way. I was quoted $6070 for a new mercruiser 3.0 engine and outdrive for the aquasport. It also needs a new trailer. Somebody help me make a decision :'( Should I try to sell the Bayliner, or use the engine? I hate to let that boat go to waste, but my options are getting thin. Why spend a grand on it, to make 1 grand (I paid 3 g's for it from a family member). Should I just man up and snatch the motor for the aquasport and part the gayliner? HELPPPPPP!!!!! WHen swapping motors am I likely to be stirring up troubles?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,............

Bone out the Bilgeliner,.......
Junk it,+ transfer ALL of it's driveline to your Fishing boat.......

Then Go Fishing,+ Be Happy.............