need new axle, but how heavy?

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer
problem- I've been wearing out the inside of my tires. changed bearings, no difference. decided i need new axle, so i weighed my boat. it is a '96 lund tyee 1850, with a 4.3lx I/O. it rides on a shoreland'r single axle trailer with a 3500# axle. looked at weights of my boat and figured it was right around 3500 pounds with trailer.
I finaaly was able to weigh the boat and trailer today, and hooked to the truck itwas exactly 3500#. Assuming i add 250 lbs of tongue weight, and 150lbs of fuel, and another 200 lbs of gear, i decide my axle is too small.
am i still too light to use a 5200# axle?, or is there anything in between i can use?
any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer
Re: need new axle, but how heavy?

not sure on the srrings, but tires are rated for 1760lbs each load range C.
the new axle would come with new srings and brakes, but i would need new tires and rims as the 5200 lb axle uses 6X5.5", where as my current is 5x4.5"
i would run load range d tires on the new axle.
i just curious if a 5200 pound axle is too heavy for it. don't want to wear out the outside of the tires.
could put the boat on a serious diet and haul all gear in truck until in the water, and stay under weight, but it would be tough. i put about 1500 miles total a year on it. one trip we do in june would be very difficult to keep her that light,as we take three guys and gear for a week, on a 900 mile round trip.

Pelletmonster

Seaman Apprentice
Re: need new axle, but how heavy?

going to a 5200# axle your gonna find out that your gonna have to go with a 6 bolt hub and lug pattern on the wheel, and "generally" those hubs call for a ST225/75 d or r 15".. so to answer your question with all the numbers you have provided a 5200# axle is really what you need