1957 Johnson RDE-19 35HP - Help a New Guy

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy, folks. My name is Andy, and I have recently rejoined the ranks of outboard motor owners after a long, long hiatus (20+ years). Allow me to apologize in advance for the rambling nature of this post.

My kids (ages 7 and 9) and I are building a traditional wooden skiff (the Macomber 15, recently featured in Small Boats magazine) for use on the local lake. By the time I was my oldest kid's age, I had already sunk a 10-foot jon boat out in front of my grandfather's place on the San Bernard river in Brazoria, Texas (Granddad always told me it was because the 9.9 hanging off the back was too big, but I think I just turned her too sharply and drove the bow right under water - scared the crap out of me and a little buddy who happened to be sitting up there, but the nearly-empty gas can kept her afloat long enough for my dad and granddad to pull her back to shore).

But I digress. I've always intended to hang an antique-looking outboard off the transom of this new old boat because, frankly, a new four-stroke model would just look silly IMO. I watched Craigslist and eBay for months, and these things would sell almost immediately when they were listed. So when I found a guy selling this 1957 35HP unit, I jumped on the deal. She supposedly runs great, although due to some scheduling issues I had to pick the motor up without being able to see it run.

photo.JPG

It's an electric-start model with a tiller. There are two long battery cables hanging off the motor, which I assume get connected to a 12v battery. I am by no means mechanically inclined, and I am looking for some gentle guidance on what to do next. I'd eventually like to "renovate" the motor, as opposed to "restore" it. I'm not looking to win any antique motor competitions, but I'd like it to look nice, run well, and perform reliably.

The throttle grip (the twisty bit at the end of the tiller) seems really hard to turn in either direction, and it doesn't turn very far at all. Upon closer inspection, the gears (at the motor-end of the tiller) have been painted and may be what's causing the resistance. Under the hood, everything - and I mean everything - has been painted by the previous owner to try to match the original maroon-ish color. I have no idea if this is proper, but it looks terrible and just doesn't seem right. There is literally zero "metal" color inside the motor cowling. Wondering if I can/should strip the paint off these parts when I have them off for service.

Another question: Which manuals should I look for? I have the one with the exploded parts views, found it somewhere online. I've also located a source for the service manual, but it's pretty pricey - about $60. Seems like a necessary expense though. What about the owner's manual - another $30 investment, is it worth it?

I guess my initial questions are:
  • Should I do any maintenance first, or just fire it up and see how it runs before starting?
  • If I should fire it up first, how should I do that? (I.e. battery cables, fuel lines, tank or water muffs, etc.)
  • If I should do maintenance first, what are the general "sub-projects" I should tackle?
  • Should I (can I) remove the paint from the interior components?
  • Which reference materials should I purchase?
  • Anything else to get me moving in the right direction?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer. As I said, I'm not particularly mechanically inclined (I'm more of a woodworker than a mechanic), but I'm interested in learning. I always had my granddad and, to a lesser extent, my father around to help out when my little outboards acted up. Now that I'm the dad, I need to be able to diagnose, fix, and maintain this thing so my kids can enjoy their time on the water. I suspect I'm going to need all the help I can get.[

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1957 Johnson RDE-19 35HP - Help a New Guy

HI adt2. Welcome to iboats. Great old motor you got there. One of the all time greats! Assuming the compression is good on the motor (+100 psi per cylinder, with both cylinders being within 10% of each other) everything else can be fixed pretty easily. In fact, one of the best things about these old motors is that you can fix basically everything on them yourself with very simple tools for under $150. Here's a great link to get you started. It will walk you through an entire tune up from top to bottom. Read it over once or twice and start tinkering. Be sure that you work in a systematic manner. Find a problem, fix it, confirm the repair, the move on to the next problem. I usually start at the top of the motor at the ignition and work my way down to the gear case. Give these links a read and holler if you get stuck. Btw, you can get virtually any consumable parts you may need for your motor right here at iboats.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/377023/37702300001.htm

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any idea where I ought to start looking for missing parts? The motor is missing the front panel "insert" (the flat part that the stickers would go on and the knobs would stick through) along with a few grommets etc. I am assuming I can't order these new anywhere.

Things I for sure need to find:
  • Control Panel & Transfer Assy (376897)
  • Grommet (303983)
  • Seal (304877)

Things I probably need to find:
  • Screw (302761)
  • Adjusting Lever - High Speed (304360)
  • Grommet (303796)
  • Choke Knob (303718)
  • Adjusting Lever - Slow Speed (303847)
  • Cotter Pin (41-163)
  • Grommet (303535)
  • Washer (202065)
  • Spring (303518)
  • Cover (303528)
  • Grommet (303529)

I'm wondering if there are sources for this stuff, or if I need to be looking for a parts motor.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Alot of the grommets and such can be had here

www.nymarine.ca

A parts motor might be cheaper and more useful, maybe find one with a blown powerhead and pick it up for under 50 bucks.

I personally find the most important things when buying an antique outboard are condition and completeness. Finding all the little things can add up quick.

The cables do not go direct to a battery, you will need the solenoid box/solenoid, and a key switch.

Actually, PM me with your email address and Ill send you wiring diagrams, manuals, etc.... to help you get started.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Do some digging online and you'll be surprised what you can find. A parts motor is ideal, but ebay, aomci.org, nymarine, and twincityoutboards.com (org?) are all great places to start your hunt.

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class

Adt2
For the control panel try Doug Penn;

http://www.penn.itgo.com/

He's a real good Guy to deal with.
If He doesn't have it, He will help You find it.
The first outboard motor I ever ran was a 1957 Johnson 35hp.
Rope start!!
My buddy and I were 12yrs old. We had blisters on Our hands
trying to start that beast for the first time that summer.
It ran like a champ after that.
Someday I will ad one to My collection!
Good Luck with Your motor!
Steve A W

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

1957 35 is my favorite motor. I happen to own a nice old Big Twin Evinrude, myself and have sought after one for about 17 years. Now that I found one, I'm going to doll it up nice and give it a happy new home. I'll probably put it on a FeatherCraft or Crest Liner of the same year and put my '58 Fisherman next to it, for a troller, or maybe my '65 Yachtwin.

These old 35's are worth every penny, to restore.

Attachments

• 5Nc5Ic5Ja3L83N83H7c3ef9918df1f49b1e31.jpg
    5Nc5Ic5Ja3L83N83H7c3ef9918df1f49b1e31.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 5G15K95M53Kf3Nf3Hcc3e388b67b558e0173e.jpg
    5G15K95M53Kf3Nf3Hcc3e388b67b558e0173e.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tips, folks. Now I need a little help identifying some components. There's a button on the side of the motor that I can't identify, and also a mysterious box inside the cowling toward the front of the motor that I can't identify. The box appears to have something to do with the electric starter; I'm wondering if maybe it's the solenoid?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Parts.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again adt2. I think the mystery switch on the left is an aftermarket, push-button kill switch. It's hard to make out the other one. Does it have fuel lines running to it, electrical (only), or both?

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll have to double-check when I get home, but I think it has electric only.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Someone has rigged up an electric start/kill system. None of that is factory.

lindy46

Captain

If it were me, IMHO I'd look for a good, complete motor and use that motor for parts.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Someone has rigged up an electric start/kill system. None of that is factory.

Well, color me confused on a number of things. First - the mystery switch on the side of the motor. Take a look at the attached image; it's from a 1957 Johnson brochure. It's a little grainy, but it sure looks to me like the switch is there in the image.

1957BrochureImage.jpg

Second...I am totally bumfuzzled on the electric start/choke system. I definitely have start and choke buttons on my motor - although, believe it or not, they are duct-taped to the steering bracket. The parts manual I'm using shows a Start and Choke "faceplate" dashboard thing with the two buttons clearly shown and labeled...but doesn't show where on the motor they ought to be installed. The image above, which is of the electric start version of the motor, also doesn't show the buttons nor the mounting plate.

On a separate but related note...is it possible a previous owner fabricated a box and mounted the solenoid in it, inside the motor, to eliminate the transom-mount solenoid setup?

kfa4303

Banned

Here's my best guess as to what everything is.

Parts motor.jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Your guesses (in yellow) look correct to me.
The push-button on the side joins the two black wires coming from the magneto plate (points) together and kills the ignition.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your guesses (in yellow) look correct to me.
The push-button on the side joins the two black wires coming from the magneto plate (points) together and kills the ignition.

It doesn't look to you guys like the "kill switch" is in the brochure photo a couple of posts up? I'm not arguing; I just can't reconcile what I think I see in the photo, what I actually see on the motor, and what you're telling me I'm seeing on the internet.

lindy46

Captain

That motor would not have had a kill switch - to kill the motor, you engaged the choke. The kill switch/key switch combo didn't start until 1958. Your motor would have originally had a "faceplate" on the boat's dashboard with a "start" button and a "choke" button. The motor would have had a solenoid junction box toward the back of the boat with wires running to the "faceplate" in one direction, and to the motor, via a large plug, in the other direction. It's possible your motor was originally a manual start motor and someone has added a starter and put a solenoid under the hood along with start and choke buttons, and maybe even added a kill button.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am being told off-line by another source that the tiller steer models didn't have electric start. Either I've got a homebrew electric start setup, or I've got the wrong model number. I'm going to spend some more time later today trying to locate the model number. Can anybody tell me where on the motor to look?

lindy46

Captain

Should be a plate on the transom clamp, possibly in the front center on that motor.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. There should be a riveted tag on the transom clamp with the model and serial number on it. If it is indeed an RDE, then it was a factory electric start as denoted by the "E" in the model number. However, if the model is simply and RD, then it did not come from the factory with the starter, but it was added at a later time. It is also missing the "faceplate" as well, although it's not needed to operate the motor. In any event, it will need decent compression to be worth the effort. If the compression is ok, I would remove the homemade "improvements" and start fresh. All the rest can be fixed for a couple hundred bucks at most. Double check the model lettering and numbering and we'll be able to the exact date nailed down and take it from there.