1985 35Hp Mercury Questions

ppare05

Cadet
So I am doing some much needed work on my boat. I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience on this motor out there? I went to the library and looked through the Clymers and Seloc Manuals but did not have the answers to my questions below.

First off this motor caught fire back at the end of 2010. It has been sitting since because of the lack of time and money. I am in the process of rebuilding the carb and replacing some wires and other items that were a loss in the fire. This process is almost all done. I also pulled the lower unit to replace the water pump. My questions are on the lower unit on some items. First is a question on the Seat Assembly and the Seal Splined and how they line up on the drive shaft? I need to know the orientation when put on the drive shaft. When the lower unit came out the seat assembly was in pieces and the seal splined was split and fell off as well. Also need to know the orientation of the cam reverse locking. That also came off the shift shaft and not sure which direction to put it in. Any help would be great!
Thanks Phil

carholme

Rear Admiral

ppare05

Cadet
Re: 1985 35Hp Mercury Questions

Thank you for the quick response. The seat assembly and seal splined are items 32 and 33. It looks like they sit on the top of the shaft assembly on the splines. One is hard plastic and the other is rubber. They have splines only halfway on the inside. Just not sure of which way they face when I put them on the shaft.

Thank you for the reverse lock thread. that makes perfect sense. But there is another piece that sits on the top. It is in the below drawing item 50. How does that piece go back in?
http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mc7431909mr1500ar16996

ppare05

Cadet

Here is the link. http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/412_140.cfm If it does not come up it is the CLAMP AND SWIVEL BRACKET (NON POWER TRIM) Category.

The seal and seat have splines on the inside but only go half way. so if you look inside half the surface is flat and the other half has the groves. My thought is that the hard plastic which goes on first has the flat side point down the shaft and the rubber one has the flat side facing up so when I put the unit back in it must make a seal up in the case. if that makes any sense.
Gerry thank you for all the help!

carholme

Rear Admiral

That item 50, is a guide and if you look up in the front of the base of the driveshaft housing, item 1:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/412_130.cfm

you will see an opening with two slots which matches the slots on the guide and the guide fits up in there first, usually held in place with a dab of grease. Then you put the reverse cam on your shift shaft on the LU and install it. You will notice that the guide has a hole for the shift shaft as well as a smaller hole for the reverse locking rod to fit through and keep it in place.

Correct on the down and up with the seal and seat.

Gerry