Wirng a fuel guage on 40 hp honda OB

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
This is really a cross post from the Honda forum but noone seems to be able to help there so I'm trying here.

I have a new fuel tank with sending unit, and also ordered a fuel gauge which I don't have already on board. I'd like to power this from the ignition SW so it only comes on when the switch is on. All power to my fuse panel is hot as long as my batteries are on. I have looked at the wiring diagram n the manual. I see a definition as P for pink on the bottom right corner of the diagram but no pink wire in the diagram itself. So where do I grab switched power from the control? I don't want to guess at this and take any voltage from a required use. Does anyone know what color wire I'm looking for?
I also have a trim gauge, battery gauge and tach allready on board. Could I pull power from the battery gauge feed?
Thanks.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Wirng a fuel guage on 40 hp honda OB

mm the electrial section would be of more help

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have other gauges, +12 volts and ground on any of those gauges is all you need. The "S" (sender) terminal on the gauge has nothing to do with the engine. That comes from the threaded post on the fuel gauge sender. The metal flange of the sender must be grounded as well.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You will be looking for a WHITE wire with a black tracer. But like was said. all you need to do is tag into another gauges switched hot wire and ground..

Honda wiring color code:

BLACK = Ground
BLACK/White = 12-volt power, Engine Start
BLACK/Red = Engine Stop
BLACK/Green = Stator, Ignition Coil
WHITE/Black = Ignition Switched Power
GRAY = Tachometer, Battery Charging
BROWN = Choke
RED = Temperature warning
Lt. GREEN = Trim UP
Lt. BLUE = Trim DOWN
BLUE = Pulse Coil 1