96 Merc outboard won't catch in gear and speed up, please help!

glmy787

Recruit
My name is Garrett, I have 90 HP, 96 Mercury outboard on a pontoon boat. I inherited it from my father, it has sat for 2 years with the exception of twice a year. So it was tough to start, any suggestions on what i should do to the boat to tune in up. I have replaced the spark plugs and put in 93 octaine fuel and sea foam. (There was 1/2 tank of last summer's gas & mixed 5 gallons 93 oct. on top with 1/2 can sea foam.) Also the engine wont speed the boat up. 1/2 way speeding the boat up, it's like a car when the clutch slips. It revs the engine real loud like the boat isn't catching gear. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 96 Merc outboard won't catch in gear and speed up, please help!

Sounds like the clutch-dog may be slipping

Mi duckdown

Commander

or prop hub is going

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

More like a prop hub slipping.

glmy787

Recruit

If it is the prop hub that is slipping, is that something i could do myself? Or would i have to hire a mechanic? Also, would i have to take the boat out of the water, or could i work on the boat while its in the water? I'm pretty handy and willing to figure things out. So any advice on that would be much appreciated. My dad drove this pontoon like this for a couple years before he passed, so i wonder if maybe i should just drive on it till it goes. Any advice would be welcome, im really grateful this website exists.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Put a mark on the prop and a corresponding one on the hub. when it does the slip/rev again see if the marks are still lined up. If not replace or repair the prop. If they are still lined up you have a different problem.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The prop has a rubber sleeve in between the the prop itself and a splined shaft that goes on the motor out put shaft If you take off the prop nut and spacer you can see the rubber sleeve and make a mark on all 3 parts then put it back together and test run it then take it back apart and look at the mark. If its slipping you will be able to see it and changing the prop is simple once the nut and spacer is off the prop just slips off.

glmy787

Recruit

Well, i pulled the prop off by pulling a boat up behind it. The teeth on the actual prop were ground down to almost nothing. However, the spindal on the actual motor was fine. So, for $75, i am getting the prop pressed to hopefully fix it for good. I am also getting a new prop nut with teeth per a recommendation. I am going to put on the prop and test it out next week, so i will repost with results. Thank everyone so much for their help.

glmy787

Recruit

Ok, i got the new hub pressed in my prop and got it put back on the motor. I am able to run the pontton at half speed or more, which gets me to and from the sand bar, no problem. It does seem like something is still slipping when i put full or close to full throttle. Not sure if its the propellor or maybe the cluth-dog is slipping as well. Going to run it this summer half speed and continue to monitor the situation. Any comments would be appreciated.