Mercruizer Alphe One Gen II Bellows

ARTIZAN

Seaman
Hi,

I took a look at my outdrive and noticed that one of the three bellows is broken. It's the small on for the shift cable. The two larger ones look fine on both sides. I moved them and squeesed them with my hand and didn't see any cracks. I would like to know if there is a way to replace (for now) just the small one without removing the drive as is requied when replacing the larger ones.

Here is a picture of the three bellows.

IMG_0511.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruizer Alphe One Gen II Bellows

... I would like to know if there is a way to replace (for now) just the small one without removing the drive as is requied when replacing the larger ones. ...

Yes. I have done it a few times when a customer has come to me after a uni joint bellows change by someone else, who didn't change the shift bellows at the same time and it then went... Now there's a surprise. :facepalm:

Just heel the wheel to full lock port. Disconnect all the gubbins at the top of the lower shift cable, tie a length of core to it and pull it out of the transom plate. Be careful not to create a sharp bend, or you will be replacing the cable later... Once the cable is completely out of the transom plate, slide all the old bellows off it and slide the new one on, then reverse the process and fit all the gubbins back on the shift plate....

Chris.....

ARTIZAN

Seaman

Chris,

Thank you for that. Experience is worth more than anything else. Also, thank you for validating the need to do it sometimes.

Do you think my other bellows are looking like they may go bad soon too?

I may pull the drive anyway because I found the kit for $80 on Ebay. Is there anything wrong with using those kits?

ARTIZAN

Seaman

Never mind, I don't want to get accused of spamming again. I am sorry. Thanks for the quick answers everyone but I feel like I'm getting bullied, ignored and criticized too much in here.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Never mind, I don't want to get accused of spamming again. I am sorry. Thanks for the quick answers everyone but I feel like I'm getting bullied, ignored and criticized too much in here.

confused0013.gif
indifferent0025.gif

RenkenII

Seaman

WOW!

As a newer boater, save yourself the trouble and replace all the bellows because July 3rd is when the u-joint or exhaust bellows will go bad. Do it all now, then your good for a number of seasons. Do the lower shift cable too.