Water Dispenser in Regrigerator runs slow

mscher

Lieutenant
We have had two regrigerators (so far) with water in the door, that have always run slow, even as new.

First time was on city water on small copper line (into main house water). Now on well, with 1/4" tubing and a saddle valve, into 3/4" copper.

I have used other people's fridge water, where it takes a few seconds to fill a glass, verses about a minute for ours. We need a new filter, but it is not much worse than when new.

An sugestions to speed the flow up?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Water Dispenser in Regrigerator runs slow

did you change the filter?

maybe you have a pinched line internal to the fridge?

maybe you have a bad solenoid?

robert graham

Admiral

Those 1/4" tubes can have such a low flow rate that a black slime/algae can grow inside them and reduce flow. It's also been a problem with ice-makers and similar. Maybe remove and flush out your lines.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make sure the "valve" on the sadle fitting can be opened a little more too. Ours was like that until I had to replace the the sadle fitting. When I removed the old one, I noticed it was not opened very much. After I installed the new one I opened it further and the flow increased. Might not be your problem but it only take a second or two to check. Good luck!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Check the saddle valve. I've seen them plug before.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

+1 with replacing the filter. Fill it with tap water before reinstalling the new one or you'll wait 10 months for water!

bigdee

Commander

Try closing the saddle until it is rather snug then open it all the way. Well water systems are notorius for plugging the saddle valve. What is your system pressure? Most are kinda low compared to municipal water.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I ran a 1/2 inch line to ours does fine, but saddle valves are low flow