Bimini question

floatfan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1995 Maxum 1800XR. When I bought it used, it didn't come with the bimini. In trying to find a replacement, all the pictures I see only show one metal support coming up from the sides of the boat. The original bimini brackets are still installed on my boat (not the frames, just the little clips on the boat). My boat has 2 brackets on each side of the boat. When I go to find the bimini for my boat on iboats, at this point (http://biminitops.iboats.com/Maxum/1800_XR/?*******=868366993), when I click 1992 - 1995, the link takes me to the 1999-2000 model.

So basically, a couple of questions. Is the top for the 1999-2000 going to be the same as on my 1995 model? If not, how can I get directed to the actual top for the 1995...since when I click 1992-1995, it takes me to 1999-2000? Second...would the top that iboats sells be the one with the two metal frames going up on each side, or just the single metal frame as shown in the pictures?

My boat:
boat.jpg

AlmostFamous

Seaman
Re: Bimini question

Ok, having been down this road twice in the last 3 years with iboats, I can lend some advice. I would not trust the look up by make/model feature. I would instead measure your width with a tape measure. (from one bracket to the other). Then deterime the height you want typically 36''. 42'' or 48''. Then pick length most are 6'.

Looking at your picture, you have a 'euro' style boat. However, it looks like your bimini brackets are mounted on the gunwale and not on the windshield like most 'euro' biminis. So, when ordering you may want to select "conventional runabout" instead of euro. OR, you can measure from one edge of your windshield to the other and order based on that width. You will get new mounting brackets with your top.

Those braces you see in some of the pictures are called struts. They do not come with the bimini top but can be ordered separately and cut to length.

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your #2 clips as you call them are most likely for the rear support struts (Instead of straps) not for a 4 post Bimini like on a tune.

So you have a regular "One metal support on each side" with rear support struts.

Now what you have to decide is do you want a 3 or 4 bow Bimini.

floatfan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. Ok...so it's the standard bimini frame with rear struts. Having never seen it with a bimini, I couldn't quite picture the setup. Now that we have that worked out...do any of you have an idea of what size bimini may have come on it new? 3 bow or 4 bow? Height? 6 ft or 8 ft? We basically use the boat to cruise the lake, anchor up, hang out and swim off the back, and on occasion pull the tube. Speaking from experience learned all last Summer, a day on the lake in the middle of a south Georgia Summer day is rough without some shade.

Thanks

AlmostFamous

Seaman

It's really hard saying what came on it originally. Most of the original ones I see on boats like yours are small, and low 36'' max.

If you're going to reuse the existing mounting points I'd say go with a 42'' or 48'' anything less will be too low. 6' length should work well. Double check iboats offerings. I'm not sure they'll offer much longer than 6'.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Measure from the deck to bracket #1. That, plus the height of the bimini, equals the total height. You probably want it just a couple inches taller than you standing. If you get a bimini that's too tall, the shade starts to be in the wrong place, unless the sun is directly overhead.

Most 6' biminis are 3 bow, most 8' are 4 bow. 6' is about standard for an 18' boat, but for Georgia, you may want an 8'.

If you fish much, I would not get an 8'. It can get in the way of rods.

For the rear strut, you can get adjustable telescoping struts, or struts that you cut to the correct length. Struts are way better than straps, because you can fold up the bimini and still leave it propped up and out of the way.

floatfan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many thanks for the advice! If I can find an 8' that'll fit, that's the direction I'm headed.

Final question (I think): what do the front support straps tie to?

AlmostFamous

Seaman

With your top you will get 4 U shaped brackets. These screw into the rails fore and aft. There will be 4 straps coming off of the bimini, one at each corner. These straps clip to the brackets, then you can adjust the tension of the straps. the instructions will give you guidance on placement. But, after you get the top installed into the brackets, just unfold the top, have someone hold it and it will be fairly obvious where to place the brackets.

hope that helps.

floatfan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With your top you will get 4 U shaped brackets. These screw into the rails fore and aft. There will be 4 straps coming off of the bimini, one at each corner. These straps clip to the brackets, then you can adjust the tension of the straps. the instructions will give you guidance on placement. But, after you get the top installed into the brackets, just unfold the top, have someone hold it and it will be fairly obvious where to place the brackets.

hope that helps.

It does indeed. Thank you.

jdlough

Of course, if you're installing rear struts, you won't need the rear straps, so you won't be installing the rear eye straps (the U shaped brackets).

Your two front eye straps will be in front of the windshield, near the gunwale. Since you already have bimini brackets installed, you may already have the front eye straps installed. They look like this:
eye strap.jpg

http://www.iboats.com/Bimini-Top-Ey...8873078--session_id.098304237--view_id.693696

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

you probably need the same type top i have.

2011-09-11181922.jpg

i have 4 strut mounts like your pic shows.

i dont have a pic of it open, but it has the long center strut, the two shorter rear struts, and then the straps connect in front, i think either on or in front of the windshield.

jdlough

Willie, nice find re that video.

The same dude has a couple more videos that may be useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1deEYawbcA&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u1Z2BP105I&feature=relmfu

I just thought of something else you may like for the Georgia sun. Biminiclips and Taylormade both make clothespin-type things for clipping a towel to the sides of your bimini poles. Very useful for when the late afternoon sun comes in sideways, and your top above you doesn't shade you.

I don't think iBoats carries the Biminiclip, but they do have the Taylormade, which looks more like a clothespin.

http://www.biminiclip.com

http://www.iboats.com/Clothes-Claws...8873078--session_id.814918939--view_id.426959

You can probably make your own cheap version with chunks of PVC. People tend to lose them overboard, pulling a towel off the bimini.

floatfan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very good info guys. The video was great...actually showed me a lot of what I was wondering about. Now all I need to do is measure the width of my existing brackets and decide on length & height. Thanks to all of you!

jdlough

One more thing....

You are measuring the distance between your bracket #1s. This should be the width of your bimini.

If that distance happens to be between two sizes offered, I would say get the bigger bimini, because the poles can be bent inward a bit, like 6" or so. And a wider top is better, shadewise.

However, your bimini mounting hardware bits are inside your windshield. I can't tell from your pics, but with a too-wide bimini, the poles might bump into your side windshield. Look at your existing bimini mounts, then look straight up from them to see how close the windshield is to your imaginary bimini poles. If the windshield is a couple of inches OUTSIDE the bimini mount, you can feel safe getting a too wide bimini. If it's straight up, better get the exact size or smaller. If the windshield is not in the way, it's better to get the widest bimini you can, for that extra bit of shade.

Another option is to just ignore your existing inside-the-windshield-mounts and install new mounts outside the windshield, on top of the gunwale. That way, you can get the widest possible bimini, and install it where you want. You may want it to extend your 8' bimini a bit more forward of the windshield, for example, to protect your vision when you're heading west in the afternoon sun.

If your gunwale is not flat there, they make 15 degree and 30 degree and vertical bimini mounts, for all situations. The black nylon ones are fine, but stainless steel ones look snazzier.

You can hang a trash-bag or something from your unused inside mounts.

MikePNJ

Seaman Apprentice

One more thing to think about is how you will store the bimimi.

Depending on the boat cover you have it may not have the slots to fit the bimini in the up position.

Are you going to be able to lay it flay over the windshield or lay it down or keep it mounted up on the brackets. Some boats have a space that can store the bimini in a closed compartment also.

I had these issues when I bought my bimini. The purchase of a bimini top lead to a need for a new cover to be sewn.

Also if your cover doesnt work with the bimini in the up position, will laying it flat rub the vinyl and possibly cause a tear when it's laid flat.

I also agree with the height issue. Don't go too high because it will provide useless sun coverage on a 6ft length if it's too high.

Just something else to think about.

Mike