1975 240SRV SEA RAY with a 302 prop question?

DansSeaRay

Cadet
I have a 75 240Sea Ray with a 302. Last year I was told to use a 17 pitch prop. When I did the boat would only max out at 4000 RPM. This year I looking at a 15 pitch prop which supposedly will put me at about 4500 RPM. Can Some tell me what the max RPMs should be with this boat? Should I go higher in RPMs or is that pretty reasonable. I don't want to be having high rpms. If I have more than 4 people in the boat it will not plain out. Suggestions, Opinions?

Thank you,

Dan

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: 1975 240SRV SEA RAY with a 302 prop question?

I have a 75 240Sea Ray with a 302. Last year I was told to use a 17 pitch prop. When I did the boat would only max out at 4000 RPM. This year I looking at a 15 pitch prop which supposedly will put me at about 4500 RPM. Can Some tell me what the max RPMs should be with this boat? Should I go higher in RPMs or is that pretty reasonable. I don't want to be having high rpms. If I have more than 4 people in the boat it will not plain out. Suggestions, Opinions?

Thank you,

Dan

3800-4200 RPMS is the max operating range for the 302/351 V8 and the pre-alpha drive. You are already propped correctly. You should look at other issues hindering you from planing out, like excess weight from waterlogged foam, etc. A 24' boat on 188HP (likely less if it's original engine) is a lot of boat to push. Maybe smart tabs or a 4-blade prop are in order.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to the Prop forum

DansSeaRay

Cadet

3800-4200 RPMS is the max operating range for the 302/351 V8 and the pre-alpha drive. You are already propped correctly. You should look at other issues hindering you from planing out, like excess weight from waterlogged foam, etc. A 24' boat on 188HP (likely less if it's original engine) is a lot of boat to push. Maybe smart tabs or a 4-blade prop are in order.

Last year I noticed a very small hole in the engine bay below the engine in front from a screw or something. I believe there was some water getting down in the hull. It has been sitting for about 6 months. Do you think the water may have dried up or drained out? I have the plug out and the boat leaned slightly back. Is there a way to access into the hall. The only way I can think of is in the cabin on the floor I notice a square nut. If I remove that can I see if there is any water down there by trying to siphoning it out?

Thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Usuiall;y woterlgged foam refers to boats poorly stored over the years perhaps left sitting with water and snow accumulated
or perhaps repeated flooding of the bilge for long periods.the foam could absorb several 100 lbs of water.
I think larger boats aren't as prone to this as smaller runabouts.
I would double check the tune up with a compression check.Timing set right and advancing as it should.Throttle opening as it should.Bottom clean and smooth.
We also need as much info as possible from the stickys at the top of the prop forum.