Remote throttle control for 2012 Merc 9.9 ELH Bigfoot kicker

lund jbk

Cadet
I am thinking about getting a TrollKing electronic throttle control for my new kicker motor. Has anyone ou there tried one of these? Likes, dislikes. I didn't order the remote style motor because I don't really have a good spot to put the remote plus the added expense. All I really want is throttle control, walking back to change gears I don't see as being a big problem.

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Remote throttle control for 2012 Merc 9.9 ELH Bigfoot kicker

I got an electronic servo control with a used 15hp. It worked fairly well, but I did encounter a problem in wet weather when it developed a mind of it's own and motor speed became erratic. I think it was a trollmaster. I priced a remote kit and controls over $500. I had an old Gale control from the 1970's that I JURRY RIGGED. I can give you some pics if you want. That was 4 seasons ago and it has worked very well. The best way is factory but it become so expensive!!!

lund jbk

Cadet

I have got A Lund Pro Sport and there doesn't seem to be a good spot for a remote, at least where I think I would be happy with it. I have seen some boats with a kicker remote that was a minature version of the normal remote but at the time I ordered this motor I didn't know the manufacturer and still don't. Anyway, I've got a tiller style and am willing to live with that. This motor is really nice and works on the boat very well. I can get a TrollKing for like $250 or less definitely alot cheaper than a standard remote. Hopefully they have made some improvements from the model you had. I'm not in a big rush to get one because I want to get through the break in period before I think about mounting anything like that on the motor.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

OMG!!! I wouldn't spend that kind of money for a servo and a control box. My motor is a tiller electric that I converted. My 14' Starcraft sure runs alot better than it did as a tiller. I made a side console and hung the Telex Safe T steering on that and put the remote on the right side next to it.

lund jbk

Cadet

OMG!!! I wouldn't spend that kind of money for a servo and a control box. My motor is a tiller electric that I converted. My 14' Starcraft sure runs alot better than it did as a tiller. I made a side console and hung the Telex Safe T steering on that and put the remote on the right side next to it.

What difference does it make on how the motor runs being either a tiller or Remote???? Was this motor your primary mtr or a kicker mtr. Anyway I think your talking apples and oranges.....

Star

Chief Petty Officer

You are right, I wasn't thinking of the fact that it wasn't your primary. The 15 on my boat is. I use a minn kota for trolling.