Bass Tracker transom reinforcing

FISTer

Seaman Apprentice
Recently bought a 70s model 16ft bass tracker. The transom wood isn't rotted, but the transom does flex when I pull up/push down on the motor. I want to reinforce it. Originally I was planning on replacing the transom wood and see what that did, but the way it is installed... the rear is welded and bolted around the wood. There's no way to replace the wood without cutting all the welds, replacing the wood, and re-welding. That will get expensive in a hurry.

So what I'm thinking is to bolt a fairly thick piece of aluminum across the back of the transom. I have about 1/2 inch of space under the motor mount to play with. I may also have a couple more straps welded to the top of the transom. It already has two.

Any ideas?

I'll try and get some pics posted later today.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Bass Tracker transom reinforcing

Not a good idea. The transom is tied into the boat and yes many people have had to cut some metal.

It might be possible to replace the transom wood from the inside.

The boats were NOT welded around the transom so you just have to figure out the sequence and repair it. Adding extra metal will not help if it is flexing since everything is tied together.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I'm with bob here. Your issue is on the inside of that aluminum, you'll want to get at that any way you can. Post up some photos and some of the Tracker guys can give ya a hand;)

Welcome to iboats:)

FISTer

Seaman Apprentice

I've pulled the back deck off and the only way to get new wood in is to cut the welds on the top cap. Spent some time searching on tinboats and found this great thread on a boat that is almost the same as mine. Looks like I'm going to be getting some welding done. Really didn't want to have to do that, but oh well.

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14064

Also thing I'm going to replace the foam in the rear flotation pods while I've got it apart. Haven't checked to see if it's water logged yet, but I'm guessing it is. The water line stain on the boat shows that it sits very low in the water, so I'm guessing that it's carrying a couple hundred extra pounds of water weight.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, kinda sounds like you are in total rebuild mode. Welcome to the iboats dry dock!:)

Yah, Tracker didn't do you any favors by completely wrapping that transom wood up. Kind of a pain to rehab, sorry man.

FISTer

Seaman Apprentice

Eh, for what I paid for it, I can't complain much. Got the boat, 50hp johnson, and a decent trailer for $1000. I knew it was going to need work when I bought it. I'm still happy with it, and it will be a good boat. Guess I'll get it operational for this year, and then this winter I plan on gutting it, new decking and carpet, maybe paint, new wiring, and whatever else I decide to do.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Post some pictures....... that tracker in the link you provided can be accessed but rivets are going to be cut.

Is yours welded or riveted? I suspect the transom can be installed w/o too much damage.

Tracker was not well known for using "quality" decking and I might guess you have wet foam and soft deck spots which is typical.

FISTer

Seaman Apprentice

My transom is both welded and riveted, just like the one in that link. Gonna go take some pics in a little bit.

FISTer

Seaman Apprentice

Here's some pics so you can see what I'm working with.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo8.JPG
    photo8.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 5
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG