470 alternator swap

bigdog8114

Cadet
I am doing the alternator swap in my 1985 Century cuddy cabin and I cannot find anything about where to hook the wires up. What is the sensing wire for? I think I can hook the wire from the alternator to the back of the starter rather than the battery? Any help would be appreciated.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 470 alternator swap

What alternator do you have? 1 wire or 3 wire? And the big question... is it a proper MARINE alternator..?

see diagram below for 3 wire hook up...

attachment.php

Attachments

• alternator.jpg
    alternator.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0

bigdog8114

Cadet

It is a 1 wire and yes it is a marine alternator. it has the wire mesh screen on the back

achris

It is a 1 wire and yes it is a marine alternator. it has the wire mesh screen on the back

Just run a heavy gauge orange wire from the output terminal on the alternator to the big terminal on the starter motor solenoid.... connect to the same terminal as the battery supply cable...

bigdog8114

Cadet

What do I do with the sense wire? I already removed the stator and magnets so can I leave it hooked to the voltage regulator? I am leaving it in because I don't see a need to remove it. The water flows through it just fine.

achris

What do I do with the sense wire? I already removed the stator and magnets so can I leave it hooked to the voltage regulator? I am leaving it in because I don't see a need to remove it. The water flows through it just fine.

What sense wire? You said '1 wire', that's the output! if you have other wires on the alternator, then it's not '1 wire', and it will be an excitation wire, not sense.... If it's 3 wire (the third (sense) might be internally tied to the output).... have a look at the drawing I posted....

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

i was told you shouldn't remove the magnets ???

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You should remove ALL of the wires from the regulator and the other ends from wherever they go.

bigdog8114

Cadet

not quite sure where the red/purple wire goes. I have read that it is a ignition power only wire but not sure. Fmalott, the magnets were all broken and falling out so i had to remove them.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

That R/P is your sensing wire. No longer needed. Not sure exactly where it goes.

achris

not quite sure where the red/purple wire goes. I have read that it is a ignition power only wire but not sure. Fmalott, the magnets were all broken and falling out so i had to remove them.

The red/purple wire on the engine is constant hot, via the circuit breaker.
If you're looking for somewhere to hook the small sense wire from the alternator, try the choke purple, that's ignition power.

Chris.......