Generator: to fix or not to fix?

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is more of a cost/benefit/hassle question than a repair question...

Got a 4800 watt Champion generator, about 2-3 years old but only used about 4 times. The engine runs fine but it stopped generating electricity. Tests pointed to the stator, and sure enough when I took it apart the stator was fried. I ordered a new stator from Champion for around $230 but when I got it, they sent me the wrong one! :mad:

So they said they'd send me a new stator along with a shipping label to send back the wrong one. But by then I had it, and decided I'd just buy a 5550 watt Briggs & Stratton generator from work, which I can get at a great discount, and I can get B&S parts from work at a discount too (I can't get Champion parts from work). Figured I could use the extra power too. So I told Champion I just want a refund on the stator and shipping, and they agreed.

But now I have a generator in pieces on the garage floor, that my wife wants me to get rid of before I pick up a new generator. So I'm wondering:

Should I have gotten the right stator re-sent, fixed the old generator, and sold it for as much as I could get for it? It cost around $600 new. If I paid for the new stator, that's $230 into it and maybe I can sell it quick for around $300. That's of course, if the stator is the only thing wrong with it.

Or should I just try to sell it for practically nothing for parts, or to someone who's willing to replace the stator themselves. It's not so much the money, I just want to get rid of it and I don't know if anyone's going to want to take a nonworking gennie off my hands. What's it really worth as-is? Got a running 9HP motor on it. I'm thinking I'd try to sell it broken for $50-100.

If I try to sell it broken, should I put it back together broken? Seems a shame to reassemble if someone's willing to pay to put a new stator on themselves. But right now it's got an engine supported on blocks, hanging by the motor mounts on one side only, so not easily transportable.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Generator: to fix or not to fix?

Sell it as it sits. You'll be lucky to get 50 bucks, but it'll be out of your way.
I had the same problem last year. Those generators are not worth fixing unfortunately.
Just move on to your new one.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have heard these stories before with these cheaper generators. That's why I ended up buying a Yamaha. Super quiet too.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

If you were prepared to put $230- to buy and install a stator and then sell it for $300-, you are going to a lot of trouble for $70-.

Why not just run an ad and take the best offer as-is?

dolluper

Captain

check eboy for cheap stator.....engine may be handy to keep or not depends on you

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the replies, I kinda figured the generator wasn't worth fixing.

If you were prepared to put $230- to buy and install a stator and then sell it for $300-, you are going to a lot of trouble for $70-.

Why not just run an ad and take the best offer as-is?

Like I said, wasn't so much the money, I just want to get rid of it as easily as possible. And I almost want to fix it since I've gone so far into it. Since it's already taken apart, it's not too much trouble to put a new stator in and put it back together. But still more trouble than it's worth, it sounds like. Dolluper has a good idea, maybe I'll take a look on ebay and see if I can get a deal on a stator. Otherwise, I'll sell it for parts.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i got 4400 watt coleman that needs a motor,water got into the crankcase through exhaust.and it froze my bad. if you have pictures maybe can get it to work. i'll sell you what i have or buy what you have.but need to see if it will fit.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

stylesabu, I'm done trying to get my generator to work since I bought a new one with more power, and given the replies here- convinced me it wasn't worth fixing just to sell it. If you want to buy mine for the motor I'll pm you pics of it tonight when I get home from work. Not sure off the top of my head what brand of motor it is but it's a 9HP.