1999 F50 water pump replacement

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
I just replaced a water pump in my old 1979 merc inline 6 115hp. My son came over last night to help me put the lower unit back on. While we were talking he said "as long as your in the water pump replacement zone" why don't you replace the pump on the little boat. Thought about it and it has never been done. All we've done on that motor is change oil and spark plugs. It has 1885 hours on it, bought new in 1999. So, is this a "holy cow how did it last that long", or a "don't fix it if it ain't broke situation"

Looking for thoughts and also if I should replace it a few tips would be welcome. Like, how to ubdo the shifter stuff, etc. Just generally how to go about doing it.

The motor is a 1999 F50 tiller and has run great for 13 years now.

Thank you.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 1999 F50 water pump replacement

You're running on borrowed time with that 1999 water pump..go ahead and replace it. A complete new water pump kit is only about $5o.
Check: Yamaha Maintenance Tips Andy, for good instructions with photos for water pump replacements and other repair/maintenance procedures. Good Luck!:)

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you. Now all I need to know is how to find "Yamaha Maintenance tips Andy". Sorry, very new at this forum and still learning my way around.

Nevermind, was looking on this forum but found it on line.

THANK YOU!

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral

Hope that's helpful...the instruction is for a 150HP model, but the basics should be very similar. Good Luck!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Very helpful.

One more question. iboats has a sierra water pump, or I can get OEM yamaha pump elsewhere for a little more money.

I one better than the other? I don't care which one I get, does the motor care? Been very happy with other parts I got here on iboats.

robert graham

Admiral

I'd get the Yamaha Water Pump kit, especially since the prices are about the same. I did the pump on my 90HP Yamaha last year and it wasn't nearly the nightmare job I had heard it could be. Clean and re-assemble everything with Marine Grease. Just take your time and in you should be able to do it in a couple of hours. Good Luck!:)

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I'm retired so I don't care how long, just how easy, lol Thank you all for the help and information.