Easy way to put new fabric on cushions

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
So my sailboat has several odd shaped cushions that are padding for seats and beds. Some of the cushions have the fabric falling apart, because it is so old. I always assumed I was just gonna have to sew on new fabric, until someone gave me an idea.
He said he cut out a sheet of plywood to the size of the cushion. then put the padding on the plywood. Then stapled new fabric onto the plywood. It is so simple, but i never would thought of it on my own.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?
I wonder if i need to use marine grade fabric, or if i could maybe use some kind of water resistant fabric, that is not marine grade. I have no idea how much the stuff costs.

Idk if it needs to be waterproof, since it will basically be a bed. Just make sure your dry when laying on it. And it will dry as well.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Easy way to put new fabric on cushions

Would pleather be a good choice for a cushion, going inside the galley or a boat?
I found some marine vinyl, but was wondering about the pleather.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Vinyl-wrapped cushions stapled to plywood is a common way to make bolsters, coaming pads, seat bottoms, etc. But I dunno about something you'd sleep on...

If you do go with plywood...how thick is the cushioning? I hope you like a firm bed! Since these are gonna be in the cabin, make sure they're not too big to get through the hatch! They could wind up being pretty heavy, too.

Personally, for something inside a cabin that I'd be sleeping on, I'd rather get breathable fabric and sew new full slip covers (skip the wood). More comfortable, I'd think--could even wind up being cheaper. Use velcro (or even snaps) if your zipper sewing skills are not good.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

The cushions sit on top of fiberglass. Plywood is just as hard as fiberglass, right?
I don't see how the new cushions would be any firmer.