55 hp 1979 Chrysler with plug leakage, HELP!

Ok, first time poster... long time reader!

My trusty 55 hp Chrysler was winterized and then refilled with L.E. lube. After the plugs were put back in it started leaking from the fill plug. THEN, replaced the upper & lower plugs with new plugs and rings. Same problem developed. It didnt start right away... but it developed without any running time in between. What will it take to fix this?

Now, here's another twist to the story. I dont think they are connected but then again I'm newer to the boat/outboard ownership deal (3 years, thank you very much!). I also noticed when the new plugs were put in that a hole that a 1/8" drill bit might fit thru has developed right next to one of the bolts that connects the lower unit to the upper. I'm almost positive this happened from a wrench but surely wasnt me! possibly when the local marina sealed the lower unit for me last spring.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

ps... if you're really in the helping mood, why is there "excess"/unburned fuel found around the motor after a day on the water? I'd say about 3 ounces total... but NOTICABLE.

THANKS!!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 55 hp 1979 Chrysler with plug leakage, HELP!

That hole that just showed up?? PIC?
If it's next to a screw hole I'd bet it's a drain for the excess water,gas/oil.
The leaking drain plugs?? You sure they are leaking? Drain and check the oil for water.
Pressure test and new seals on the drain plugs.I like Mercurys felt washers.Usually can be reused and work better than the plastic.

The excess gas/oil.
Sounds like the fuel recirculation system is clogged or not working.

Thanks for responding. I'll get a picture on here later this afternoon. But it's right where a wrench would contact the Lower End casing on the front bolt, above the vent drainplug. I'm 99% sure the plugs are leaking, it's slow but I've had a pan under it all night and there is small pool of 80/90 right below the bottom drainplug with a stream down the skeg that has a streak right from that plug. These plugs were JUST replaced with Mercury plugs and washers. I think they were more plastic-like. Should there be maybe an O-ring also? Where can you find the felt washers? The kit I got from the local marina, the washer didnt seem thick enough but the guy told me it was what Mercury suggests and that they sell them together cause if you need the plug you'll also need a new washer.

Finally, would they really make a vent in the lower unit that may take on water? Dont think gas would get to this part of the outboard.

Thanks again!

That hole that just showed up?? PIC?
If it's next to a screw hole I'd bet it's a drain for the excess water,gas/oil.
The leaking drain plugs?? You sure they are leaking? Drain and check the oil for water.
Pressure test and new seals on the drain plugs.I like Mercurys felt washers.Usually can be reused and work better than the plastic.

The excess gas/oil.
Sounds like the fuel recirculation system is clogged or not working.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the fuel coming from the carbs when tilt is all the way up?

55 hp 1979 Chrysler with plug leakage, pictures

55 hp 1979 Chrysler with plug leakage, pictures

Is the fuel coming from the carbs when tilt is all the way up?

Funny you should say that! While snapping some pictures I tried to get a picture of the engine spec plate and DID notice a drop hanging off the bottom of the carb and the engine is tilted up for travel.

I've also included pictures that were previously requested. LE unit hole location.JPGleaking lower plug.JPG

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 55 hp 1979 Chrysler with plug leakage, pictures

Funny you should say that! While snapping some pictures I tried to get a picture of the engine spec plate and DID notice a drop hanging off the bottom of the carb and the engine is tilted up for travel.
Mine drips when its tilted up and has been run recently.

Hopefully someone reads this additional bit of info, but the "washers" I took off drain plugs were O-ring types. The new washers I put on are flat plastic. Might I get better results using both the new flat washers and an O-ring?