What type of anchor and chain or rope

Metabo

Cadet
As I'm relatively new to this type of boat, I have a few questions about anchors and chain versus rope.

I will be using this boat on the St Croix river in WI and also the Mississippi. I plan on staying over night on the boat from time to time and was wondering what type of anchor and what size rope I should use with this boat.

1977 Sea Ray SRV 220 Overhighter

Metabo

Attachments

• 1977 hard top 1.jpg
    1977 hard top 1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1977 hard top 2.jpg
    1977 hard top 2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1977 hard top 3.jpg
    1977 hard top 3.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1977 hard top 4.jpg
    1977 hard top 4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Original Brochure.pdf
    330.8 KB · Views: 1

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Re: What type of anchor and chain or rope

Metabo, for a boat your size and weight, I would think something at least 15#-19# would suffice. Probably a hooker style that will catch the muddy bottoms where you'll be. As for the chain, at least ten feet of 5/16". The rope should be at least 1/2" (I prefer braided) to 5/8". Get enough rope to allow a rode of 7x your average depth. You ought to consider a second stern anchor for those times you need to overcome current and the constant back and forth caused by the wind. Good Luck!

Metabo

Cadet

Thanks for the info Rich

Metabo

Metabo

Cadet

So, the chain would hook to the anchor and then the rope to the chain? Do I really need chain? Don't want to mark up the boat when dropping the anchor.

Metabo

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Anchor, chain then rope. The chain is, perhaps, the MOST important part of the mix...it lays flat allowing the anchor flukes to dig into the bottom (the rope tends to float toward the surface). With no chain, you might just as well throw out a mushroom and get drug around by the currents and winds. As far as marking up the boat, Elmer Fudd would say...be vewy, vewy careful:eek:

Metabo

Cadet

Anchor, chain then rope. The chain is, perhaps, the MOST important part of the mix...it lays flat allowing the anchor flukes to dig into the bottom (the rope tends to float toward the surface). With no chain, you might just as well throw out a mushroom and get drug around by the currents and winds. As far as marking up the boat, Elmer Fudd would say...be vewy, vewy careful:eek:

Thanks for the explanation. Now I get it! As I've not picked up the boat yet, it may have that type of set up, I just don't know yet. It was always used on a lake, so it may just have a rope and anchor. I sure like the forum here at iboats, always good info with some humor.

Metabo

You'd want to use a chain even when anchored on a lake, on the moon, or in a river. When I pull up anchor the rope rubs against the rubber rail on my boat. When I can tell that the anchor is getting close to the surface, I pay a little more attention and pull straight up so that the chain doesn't scuff the boat. It's barely even something that I notice as an extra step or inconvenience.

coastalrichard gave you good advice. Mine will be to follow it and not skimp on the length or thickness of the rope. The last thing you want is to be sleeping in your boat when the wind kicks up, and wondering if the anchor/rope is going to hold!

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They make everything vinyl coated if you want; chains, anchors... No need to worry about marking up anything as long as you're not being reckless.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took a section of 1" wildland firefighting hose and covered my chain and all fittings with it. prior to working the chain through the hose, I used red hot punch and melted holes every 6" through the hose in order to allow water to drain. My anchor is the only uncovered object that gets near my boat. It also protects the the anchor locker while it rides around on the lake.

Just an idea!! I could take a couple pics if you don't follow what I'm describing.

Metabo

Cadet

Wow! All good advice. Thanks everyone.

Metabo

Metabo

Cadet

Wow! All good advice. Thanks everyone.

Metabo

I bought a 'Digger Anchor' they are made in MN and they are designed to work without a chain. I also picked up 100 ft of 5/8" rope. Again, thanks for all the advise

Metabo

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

I need one too - The anchor looks cool.....