Help - My rollers keep flopping over! grrrrrr

Mike in Tac

Seaman
I have a 14' Livingston on a Shorelander trailer. I got them both a couple of years ago - they are both about 20 years old. Once I got the boat home for the first time, I saw that the rollers on the left-hand side of the trailer had slipped and tilted - leaving the boat hanging just a few millimeters over the trailer tire fender.

I lifted up the boat with some blocks of wood, lined up the rollers properly and then tightened everything up with new bolts. I thought this would be just dandy, but everytime I left the driveway, the bolts would loosen and I'd be back to square one. I got some lock-tite - same problem.

Finally, when I took the boat/motor in for some maintenance this winter, the mechanic straightened the rollers out for me and tightened things up with his power wrench, and things seemed great - well, that lasted about 3-4 trips out of the driveway....until yesterday, when I noticed that the rollers were tipped yet again. Funny thing is, they aren't "loose" this time - at least I wasn't able to move them with a push.

This latest "slip" doesn't seem to have affected the boat's clearance over the fender - that all seems ok. It's just that the boat is not lined up on all the rollers like it should be.

Does anyone have any tips for how I can permanently fix this problem? I could just take it back to the shop, but I was also wondering about getting it welded. I'm open to hear any ideas. Attached are pics of both sets of rollers - the crooked one, and the straight one. Excuse the rust....the trailer seems to have lives it's life in the salt!

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3095.jpg
    IMG_3095.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help - My rollers keep flopping over! grrrrrr

If it was me I'd either drill another smaller hole through the bracket (if there is room) and add another nut and bolt, or have it welded.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help - My rollers keep flopping over! grrrrrr

Or maybe make a anti-flop washer out of stainless steel sheet metal.
Kinda like the washer that goes onto the trailer hub spindle washer with the tang on it.
If you had a washer with two tangs at the right spots, you could use it on that pivot bolt.