.oh-too-thin fiberglass

sixguns

Cadet
Hey guys, got a '90 Bayliner Capri outboard...was letting my wife's cousin take a look at her this past weekend and I took a closer gander underneath the flooring into the bilge or ski locker.whatever you want to call the area under the deck between the seats. Well, under the deck, where it was dark....you can see daylight through the glass. Have someone move their hand over the keel in that area, and you see the shadow moving. My thought is someone hit something or perhaps beached on a rock and tore a hole in the hull. Can't tell there was any repair outside or in, but...there is definitely a thin spot. Is this a thing with bayliners? Thin spots on the glass now and then, or am I thinking along the correct lines? I'm going to reglass the area to reinforce and was thinking of laying some 6" wide bent to contour sections of steel (14 ga or something...no 1/4 to just add stupid weight, but figured grassing in pieces butted together to follow the contour of the hull would help reinforce that area. Am I going overkill there? Just glass it and forget about it? I'm plenty familiar with fiberglass use and technique, as I used to build fiberglass pool systems for ASA. Years ago, granted, but...that whole bicycle thing...anyways, just wanted to get some input as to whether I should just glass and go, and if this is something indicating damage and I should tear up the deck and investigate the whole situation. Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: .oh-too-thin fiberglass

Some pics would help, both inside and outside. It sounds like the bottom gelcoat may be worn off from beaching and is down to bare glass. Fiberglass with no gelcoat over it will let light through, it doesn't necessarily mean there is a hole. Like I said, some pictures would help us confirm what damage you might have and repair methods.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i really think this is nothing to worry about...

the above is correct.....

if the gellcoat is worn from the glass....it will let light thru.

even the thickest hulls will do this.

but lets see some pics of the keel area.....(the underside of the boat) just to be sure

1988Starcraft

Seaman

I'm familiar with composite canoes (primarily racing hulls) and to keep the weight down, there is no gelcoat used. Years ago when fiberglass was used the boats were clear and it was easy to see through them. Now they're mostly carbon fiber and black so you can't see through any more, but they still don't have gel coat and are very thin. You're very likely OK. If you are concerned about wear in the future and want to put something on the hull to protect it, they make kevlar rub strips for whitewater canoes to keep from wearing through their keels. That would work very well on yours too. Good luck. 1988 Starcraft