470 starter winds out , pics

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class
My starter is getting stuck and winding out the flywheel:mad: . My merc guy says i should dip it in oil and free it up but, i took it apart and theres' no sign of rust . Its' getting stuck by metal on metal . I'm able to tap it down the worm gear w/ a hammer and it gowns all the way down . See pics . How much travel should there be ? I'm getting about 1/4" . But it goes down about an inch . Does this look normal :confused:?merc starter.jpgmerc starter engaged.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 470 starter winds out , pics

Like the man said, dip it in oil. You're getting stuck metal on metal because of a lack of lubrication....

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll try to explain it better . its' getting hung up , as if there were a metal burr somewhere . You can't see it in the pic but there are 2 threads on the worm gear . One is continuous from top to bottom . The other has a cut-out half way down and ends there . confused: . It looks like its' made that way .,...... But a better understanding how it retracts would help me find the problem . Does the cover act as an iron core for magnetic flux , wrapping around the bendix gear ? I'm stumped and i can't find a diagram of the parts . :mad:,....***just for the record , its sad how those mechanics forget how much money you put in their pockets on repairs when you have a simple question .

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I'll try to explain it better . its' getting hung up , as if there were a metal burr somewhere . You can't see it in the pic but there are 2 threads on the worm gear . One is continuous from top to bottom . The other has a cut-out half way down and ends there . confused: . It looks like its' made that way .,...... But a better understanding how it retracts would help me find the problem . Does the cover act as an iron core for magnetic flux , wrapping around the bendix gear ? I'm stumped and i can't find a diagram of the parts . :mad:,....***just for the record , its sad how those mechanics forget how much money you put in their pockets on repairs when you have a simple question .

It's a simple inertia system. The stationary inertia of the bendix as the armature spins throws it into mesh with the ring gear on the flywheel. A simple spring inside the bendix retracts it.... but the whole thing needs lubrication, or it binds up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you starting the engine and after it starts the starter stays engaged?
If you crank the engine over and not start it, the bendix won't disengage from the flywheel. The rpm from the engine running is what pushes the bendix out of the flywheel on those starters.

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahhh , now i know why it has a ratcheting system on the bottom . It over-spins it and when you release the ign. sw. , power to the selonoid drops out the starter armature . Yes Don , the engine starts and the starter screams along with it . I have to shut it down . It happens intermittantly . So with the bendix gear off , can i get the bearing w/ 'carrier' off to see what the problem is ? Will i damage it w/ a puller ? Because it has a spring inside . How do i open it ? Theres' a round dot on the left side , do i need to drill this out ? 470 starter bearing.jpg ,...btw, i thought if i change the background , you could see it better , but Miss May only seems to distract me every time i look at her bendix . hope you guys dont have that problem .

Last edited:

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will i damage it w/ a puller ? ,......My bad , i just realized the 'carrier' will be seperated from the bearing when i tap it down . ,...btw, thanks for all the help up to now .

Attachments

• 470 starter bearing.jpg
    470 starter bearing.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

470 starter drawing.jpgThanks for the pic , but it was of little use. i'm sure you compared my pic w/ it and it doe'snt show the big spring , worm gear or even the small bendix gear . i tried pulling the bearing off w/o any success . limited on tools . ,....if you bear w/ me and picture/imagine theres' 3 pins that act like the screw portion of the gear and when it reaches the top they come off the ends of the threads . thereby getting caught up when going in the reverse direction . meaning the threads are worn out . see my diagram . now i'm thinking i can use a stack of washers to pack out the 'carrier' so it doesnt reach the worn out part ,...this is all if my theorys' correct. ,..and the more i think about kit , the flywheel (thank you very much Don S ) rpms are exceeding the worm gears and therefore wearing the 'carrier' out at the top only .

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

My drawing was wrong and it was the worn out thread . ,... There are only 2 pins inserted in the sides of the 'carrier' . And 3 threads , not 2 . As i got a closer look and played with it , it looks like a flaw in the design . It moves on a slight angle . If it had 3 pins , i'm thinking it would've sat straight and avoided wearing out 1 thread . Filed it flush to a taper . Greased it and shes' good to go .470 starter the culprit.jpg,......thanks again for the info. Don