Thinking about buying a 2002 SugarSands Sole. Should I get a jetboat or prop??

Status
Not open for further replies.

yepthatsme

Recruit
I'm thinking about buying a 2002 SugarSands Sole. It is a jetboat, which is something I have no experience with. Is there anything I should know about jetboats or that SugarSands model for that matter? I do know the basics, i.e., jet boats aren't as efficient as prop boats, Sugar Sands is out of business etc. It is a 2002 with a V6 240HP mercury sport jet engine. My main questions are:
1.) Is this a reliable engine?
2.) How is this engine on gas?
3.) Will this engine be powerful enough with 1300lbs on board (that is the weight limit)?
4.) Is the Sole a good boat with a solid reputation?
5.) Anything I should take into consideration when contemplating this purchase?

It appears a lot of people are strongly against jetboats and I am trying to figure out why. Thank you in advance :)

Ernest MacEnroy

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Thinking about buying a 2002 SugarSands Sole. Should I get a jetboat or prop??

Is that a Merc OB, that is mounted inboard? If so, it would be the same drive as my uncles seadoo... and he hates the combo. Seadoo wont work on in since its a Merc engine/drive. Also, his boat will porpise BAD at 35-55mph in glass water. Could be the hull, but he thinks its the engine/drive combo. He wants to sell for a twin engine jet setup. But it does have tons of power and scoots around really well. You will have fun learning how to manuver the jet with the reverse diverter :)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Thinking about buying a 2002 SugarSands Sole. Should I get a jetboat or prop??

I've had numerous sugar sands, currently have a tango. (the sole's slightly more demented little brother, a 16.5 foot boat with up to 240 hp hanging on the back.)

1) The engine is rock solid. It is a merc 2.5 liter v6, probably one of merc's best engines ever. It is similar to the outboard version, but not quite. Very different exhaust system, and the crank may or may not be different. Other than that, it is part for part identical. Merc no longer makes that size sportjet, but there are LOTS of outboards (and other sportjets) that will be out for many years, parts are not a problem. Also, I've never had a dealership refuse to work on it. Its a merc outboard, nothing more, nothing less.

2) Depends on how you drive it. It is very close to a similar equipped 2 stroke outboard boat that has the same top speed and hull design. On an average weekend day with mixed watersports, sandbars, floating, and cruising, I'll burn 10-15 gallons or so.

3) Yes, although you may want to look at trim tabs. There is no built in trim system that is cockpit adjustable, and there is an aftermarket trim plate but it is $$$. I've had 6 people in my tango with absolutely no lack of power. I've run smart tabs on the smaller sugar sands, I've had no need to on the tango.

4) Sugar sands were very well built boats. All fiberglass construction, hand laid fiberglass by skilled workers. The fact SS is no longer around really isn't an issue, sugar sand really just made the hull. The fittings are all common off the shelf parts, and the engine/controls are merc. Although I don't know about the sole, the smaller sugar sands are immune to swamping. There is an inner and outer hull which are sealed from each other. I've done submarines in mine and had things float out of the boat, all I had to do was kick on the 3 bilge pumps and wait a while.

5) If I could find a sole for a decent price I'd be trading in my tango in a heartbeat!

Other than that, the porpoising was not the drive. Every single seadoo jet boat I've ridden in will porpoise under some load/thrust conditions. My tango has never once porpoised, and my heat would only do it with very specific weight/speeds, literally adjusting 2 mph would make it stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.