How do 4 pulser coil leads control spark on a V6?

andrewmac

Cadet
Hello,

I could really use some help understanding this ignition system. I have an S200TXRX with no spark on cylinders #1 and #5. I went to test the pulser coil this evening and found that there are only 4 wires coming out of it (W/R, W/G, W/Y, W/Br). The tune-up specs say that W/R & W/G control cylinders 1 & 4. W/Y & W/Br control cylinders 3 & 6.

This is a 6 cylinder engine. What triggers spark for cylinders 2 & 5?

I DVA tested the 4 available pulser leads and they tested within spec, about 3.5 volts. I ran out of daylight before I could test anything else, but I can't stop thinking about these pulser coils. Not knowing is killing me.

Can anybody offer any help?

skyviper

Cadet
Re: How do 4 pulser coil leads control spark on a V6?

You should have W/R, W/B, W/Y, W/G, W/L(blue), and W/Br coming out of your pulser coil.

andrewmac

Cadet

The only 4 wires coming out of the pulser assembly/timer base are the ones I mentioned. I can understand how the 6 wire system works, that is self explanatory. The 4 wires system confuses me though.

I have noticed that the test procedure and wire color codes is different depending on where you look it up. The Yamaha 1999 tuneup specs list it correctly. Seloc and CDI electronics have the 6 wire system listed even though it has 4.

This is a 1999 200 carb. S200TXRX.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You can do some research on it and find out for sure, but I think those 2 are controlled by ECU

andrewmac

Cadet

Thank you for all the help. I still don't know what controls spark on those cylinders, but spark returned on its own. If/when it fails again I'll dig deeper.