Advice for First Boat Purchase

Satis

Recruit
Looking for a bit of advice on my first boat purchase regarding anything special I should be looking for. Here are the specifics:

2003 SeaRay 176 Runabout.
Last on the water in 2007. Appears to have been winterized before being put away.
Mercury 3.0/Alpha One Gen II inboard/outboard configuration.
Not sure exactly haw many hours, but likely relatively low.
Stored under a carport roof with fabric bow and cockpit covers installed.

I would be getting the boat from a very good friend who has much bigger and better toys to occupy his time with! The boat was stored in NH and used on freshwater, when it was used. I say that because it was used sparingly. Otherwise it was tied up at his dock.

The skeg on the bottom of the outboard is broken and will need to be replaced. The damaged actually happened in 2005 and was never repaired. The boat was used for two years in this condition and did not appear to have damaged the prop or shaft as indicated by the marinas mechanical review. The appears to be only and inch of two of the skeg left.

I am not new to boats or boating, but this would be my first boat, so I am not entirely familiar with the specifics of a boat inspection. Are there any general or specific mechanical "issues" that I should be looking for when I have the boat inspected by a mechanic, before the purchase. Any "SeaRay" issues that I should be concerned with.

I would be using the boat with the family (wife, daughter (9) and son (3)) for lazy weekends, tubing and skiing on local lakes and rivers.

Thanks for your input!

G.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Advice for First Boat Purchase

if you hav a boat mechanic look at it with you, and he checks out the bellows, hull/transom, you should be OK

southkogs

Staff member

If she was tied to a dock sitting in the water for long periods of time, check the wood in the transom and floor closely. Unlike a trailered boat, water tends to soak up in a dock boat that was neglected. Pull the hull plug, get the bow nice and high and see what comes out. Take Home Cookin's advice, and have the marine mechanic check that wood too.

tpenfield

Staff member

I would be concerned about the engine that has been doing nothing for 5 years.

Starting it back up should be done with some fogging oil, etc. You will also want to understand if the engine was drained or filled with anti-freeze for winterization. The gas in the the tank is N.G. so it has to be disposed of and new gas added before to take it on a test ride.

I recall when I was looking to buy my boat, I passed on a boat that had been sitting for 2-3 years. you are so much better off buying a boat that has seen regular use, because it is more of a known commodity. A boat that has been sitting is full of unknowns.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

I would be concerned about the engine that has been doing nothing for 5 years.

Starting it back up should be done with some fogging oil, etc. You will also want to understand if the engine was drained or filled with anti-freeze for winterization. The gas in the the tank is N.G. so it has to be disposed of and new gas added before to take it on a test ride.

I recall when I was looking to by my boat, I passed on a boat that had been sitting for 2-3 years. you are so much better off buying a boat that has seen regular use, because it is more of a known commodity. A boat that has been sitting is full of unknowns.

well said, well said