7.5 Mercury Not peeing!!!!!

2fishngurlz

Cadet
Hi guys... have a 7.5 mercury (serial# 7097207) with electric starter.....don't the yr.. changed the impeller ( it was bad) motor starts up strong..still no peeing..pulled out spark plugs..noticing sprays of water coming from plug holes...could it be a gasket problem now? Besides the peeing situation? Motor was given to me...it's never been in salt water.
Any help would be apprceiated thank you

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 7.5 Mercury Not peeing!!!!!

going to need to replace the head cover gasket, engine was probably overheated at one point

Shove a string from a grass trimmer up the pee hole while running, it may just have something clogged up there.

Also touch the top of the engine to ensure it's getting water, it should not be very hot

2fishngurlz

Cadet

Thank u.....Mr Gibbles
Head gasket......difficult? ...non-difficult?...to replace
and the lawn mower string great advice
Thanks

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

It's easy, very easy.

I had to do the one on mine and my main engine.

And don't think about it as a head gasket, because it's not
It’s just a water jacket cover gasket, think valve cover gasket (these engines do not have heads you can remove).

Just go slow on the bolts, if you feel resistance, hit with some sort of penetrating lube/spray tighten in a turn or so, then back it out more until they all come free.

You just want to avoid breaking any bolts ;)

Also use gasket sealer

I used black RTV, overkill but it's what I had laying around

2fishngurlz

Cadet

It's easy, very easy.

I had to do the one on mine and my main engine.

And don't think about it as a head gasket, because it's not
It?s just a water jacket cover gasket, think valve cover gasket (these engines do not have heads you can remove).

Just go slow on the bolts, if you feel resistance, hit with some sort of penetrating lube/spray tighten in a turn or so, then back it out more until they all come free.

You just want to avoid breaking any bolts ;)

Also use gasket sealer

I used black RTV, overkill but it's what I had laying around

Thank u Gentlemen for all ur great advice......I appreciate ur knowledge and ur imput
thanks again

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Those little motors have to have the leg completely submerged. I had the same thing happen and after I was ready to give up I tried running it in the lake. Bingo! Worked perfectly!