dist. did a 180?

kirayotaka

Cadet
previous thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=539299&p=3695595#post3695595

ok guys i put this heap back together (mercruiser 4.3 alpha one with thunderbolt iv) and fired it up to make sure its still ok. it hard starts untill i time it (6* btdc) now it idles fine, but its arcing from the coil wire to the metal bolts on the coil and at around 1100 rpm it starts running rough, i get some sort of sucking/ "shuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssshhh" sound from the carb and it starts sputtering. any faster and it backfires and bucks like crazy. i checked the plug wires to make sure they are installed to the matching plugs.

did i somehow mess up the installation of the distributor? how would i know its correct?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: dist. did a 180?

You probably have a cracked coil tower causing the arching. It could also be a bad spark plug or plug wire causing the arching.

Bondo

Staff member

im assuming that could also cause the misfire... would i be right?

Ayuh,.... The Issue, is Downstream of the coil tower,... Cap, Rotor, Wires, or plugs....

Spark is lazy, 'n goes to the easiest ground... you have to much Resistance somewhere....

Don S

Don't ya think you should say what you found so others might know what caused the problem?

kirayotaka

Cadet

agreed.
turns out im just an idiot. :redface: when i put the distributor cap back on i didnt line up the notch in the base with the tab on the cap.

Don S

I would bet that has happened to more people than will admit it. That's why there are so many old threads where the OP didn't even come back to say it was fixed. Trust me, you aren't the only one to have an "oops" ;)