Canvas Snaps - Nickle Plated Brass vs Stainless Steel

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm installing some removable deck carpeting and by mistake I ordered order Nickel Plated Brass snap kits instead of Stainless Steel. Both are rated for marine use, can I use the Nickle Plated, what is the real difference as far as durability in fresh water usage ?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Canvas Snaps - Nickle Plated Brass vs Stainless Steel

I wouldn't worry about it SS is probably more durable but I wouldn't change them until they wear out.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Stainless steel is by far more durable. Do it right the first time and put in the stainless snaps.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

<------from an upholsterer. Both will maintain in the marine environment just fine. I have been using nothing but nickel plated brass for the last 10 years and have NEVER had to replace a snap due to corrosion. SS are good as well, but the problem is that they are much softer than nickel and tend to warp out-of-round much faster. In fact. if it as a poor grade of SS, they will leave rust stains.

BTW, to keep your snaps operating as perfectly 10 years from now as the day they were installed, dab the socket portion (female part) with just a touch of Chapstick once a year. I have been doing it on my boats for as long as I've had them and I never have a tight or sticking snap to content with. They are still bright & shiny and snap on/off as easily as ever.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

There is SS, and there is SS. I have 30 year old brass ones that look like new and 20 year old SS ones that are rusted.

Once I had a SS steering wheel that made the compass spin (and it was an oem factory wheel).

I only use brass ones.