fuel milage question...

ScCoghill

Cadet
I have a 2000 23foot maxum that had a 250 hp 5.7l engine with a 2 barrel carb. I have now replaced the motor with a 5.7l 315 HP 4bbl carb engine. What should I expect for fuel consumption. Some say way more gas burned, others say about the same. What do you experts say?

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: fuel milage question...

I'm not far enough away from home to be an expert, but It takes more gas to make 315 HP than it does to make 250...there's only so many BTU's in a gallon of petrol.<br />So if you use the 315 you'll buy more gas. If you take it easy, you won't notice any difference.

ScCoghill

Cadet

so i presume from the artilces that at cruise, the 4bbl will use about the same amount as the 2bbl, but at wot alot more and at power-up more fuel. I don't dog the boat, and was just wondering for planning purposes what the difference might be when i get the boat back. The fuel milage wasn't bad before, but the 2bbl needed a rebuild and the 4bbl and new intake were only a 150.00 option. a 5.0 260 hp multiport would have been nice, but the $7,000 price tag was out of my leaguw while the 3200.00 4bbl vortac was in my league

QC

Supreme Mariner

Scott,<br /><br />I am guessing that the engine you bought is rated at the flywheel and your old one was rated at the propshaft. Using 25 bhp as the difference, you're probably going from a 250 to a 290 in relative terms. Just another factor to consider . . . You will probably need to make a prop change too, it should have no problem swinging another 2 inches of pitch if it was propped right before. So it is possible you could end up with better fuel efficiency at say 25 MPH or so. Not likely, but possible. ;) Good luck, when do you get to run her?

ScCoghill

Cadet

hopefully have it back next wed or so :) your right, the old motor was 250 at the foot and the new one will be about 290. I'm trying to remember the size of the prop, a change of pitch up probably will help some as well. I'll try to borrow a prop to do this. I know this boat is heavy and the extra hp will hopefully get me up somewhat quicker but not kill me on the gas pump side. Any idea what this boat should use prop wise? Also, it didn't come with vented prop, do inboard outboards need this as much as an outboard?

QC

Supreme Mariner

The only answer to your prop question is another question . . . What was your wide open throttle RPM with the old engine? And what pitch did you have then?

ScCoghill

Cadet

I will look at the prop at the shop tomorrow, a guess tonight would be futile. I know my wot rpm's were around 4800-5000. The motor had plenty of throttle left, but boat will not go above about 48 mph. Hull Design and weight? Also, when I used to trim the boat, it would continue to raise speed and rpm's like it should. At some point around half way on the trim gauge, the boat would begin to shake somewhat if I added an extra click of trim and then would settle back down if the click of trim was removed. Again, this isn't my old check mate that would stand on its tail and porpoise like a dog if it had to much trim. This boat doesn't reall porpoise at all. Trim only lowers throttle needed at cruise settings. I suppose since I still had throttle left before, I should have used more pitch for the economy side huh? I will post actual prop size tomorrow nd pitch so you can comment. Thanks for your comments, they are helpful.. :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you are blowing out (ventilation) at high trim levels. This is pretty normal with a reasonably heavy boat. If it won't porpoise, I'd shift some weight aft. You then should be able to get a little more trim before she blows out and possibly a little more top end speed. If your tach is right then I believe you will definitely need two more inches of pitch. Maybe more. Be careful breaking the new one in . . . I would get a new prop before I ran it WOT at all. ;)

ScCoghill

Cadet

thanks...will post the old numbers tomorrow night and you can guide me from there...this motor replaces the one i froze and cracked block in last winter. I cracked the block on both sides under the heads on the block deck from a water port outwards and down into the lifter valley area.<br />see ya tomorrow...are you in the LA area? My brother in law is in Huntington Beach. I used to hang out at Seal Beach when I was on the C-17 program at Long Beach

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, more east than Seal Beach for sure, but I grew up kinda hangin' at HB. Good friend works at Boeing on that project sort of . . .

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1999 23 ft. maxum with 5.0L 220hp. My usual load is 4 people with food and stuff. My max speed is 45 mph at wot. But I just usually go for 25 mph or about 3200 on the rpm. Boat and engine feel happy. Why rush? Anyway, bigger engine and more horses, higher gas consumption.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Scott, when I lived in Ohio about 12 years ago I woirked on the C17. My design group did the anti collision Strobes and other lighting stuff (wasnt Boeing in those days down there) Also, I worked on F18J. I just travelled between LA and Ohio.<br /><br />And Milkyway, the point to hurrying is that YOU CAN. When I go 55 it is almost never cause I am in hurry, it is just because I can. Like you, ,spend most of my time in that sweet spot around 3000RPM (30mph on my boat) just cruising (except no wake zones which there are plenty of) but I still like the idea I can go fast if I want to.

ScCoghill

Cadet

Well guys my old motor is on the floor and the swap out of external stuff has begun :) . The prop that came off is 14" X 19 Pitch. What cha think, try a 21 possibly? I agree with the sweet spot, my maxum cruises sweet at about 28 mph and and wasn't bad on gas. I know the 4 bbl will eat much more at power up and wot, but hoping the cruise will be about the same. AS to the ability to move quickly...it is nice to have the speed when needed to get off the water or stay ahead of the storm. I had a 21 ' checkmate with a 250 hp merc and it cruised at 50 and wot speeds were 75 mph. Chine walked bad and you had to fight it through this. As for the C-17, I was one of the chief loadmasters on the program here at Charleston and we spent a lot of time at the "beach" with McDonald Douglas.<br />Last question for now: My merc outboard used a vented prop for obvious reasons for the hole shot. Is there any benefit on a bigger boat like this to use a vented prop? I know some exhaust is through hub, but most is from the back of I/O housing. Milkyway...what prop are you running? Pitch that is...

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Scott, if you can get to 4800-5000 rpm and still "have plenty of throttle left" you were way under propped. I would definately go to 21 but more likely 23P. Go up in diameter too if you can. I run 14 1/2 x 21 with my slightly modified 260 HP. If you can borrow trial props from a local shop this is the best. Just go up in pitch till you run WOT at 4600 RPM, what ever the MPH that is what you get. As for the C17, I was on the aircraft design team, not the military program. Same for F18J

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think you absolutely need to go at least to the 21. You were pushing the RPM before, which gave you better hole shot, but you really want this thing to run within the RPM range at WOT.<br /><br />There are some way better prop peoples than me on this board, but I personally don't think a vented prop would give you much with that hull and power setup. Keep the 19 as a spare and get the other for everyday use. I would run some sort of 4 blade stainless if it were me.

ScCoghill

Cadet

Okay...any prop people want to weigh in??? Probably a 21 stainless 4 blade. This is on a alpha one gen 2 outdrive and a 23' hull with a 5.7l motor that should be around a 290 HP at the foot. How about brands when it comes to this type of application? Hey quietcat, should I make a seperate post asking this question versus leaving this post going? I appreciate ya'lls help. Hope the new hurricane misses me, it is projected to hit just above us between Charleston and Georgetown.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Good luck on the Hurricane. Check out the prop thread in the Engine FAQ section. Also, do a prop search in this section. I am leary to recommend the 23, but based on the info you have posted it may be best. Do you boat with a big crowd on the boat? Do you pull any water toys? If the answer is no to both, then the 23 may be the best answer. This is an art not a science . . .<br /><br />Walleyehed is probably the strongest on props. Also, Stevens has done a bunch of research. Look at this thread, you can trace some of their posts from there . . .<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013414

ScCoghill

Cadet

usually have about 4 to 5 people and full load of fuel (70 Gals) We don't ski much anymore (the old motor would pull me up on two skis) and very seldom does anyone wakeboard. Mostly a cruiser for us to get from point A to B. Any brands you like best? Does the 4 blade work better on big boat vs 3 blade? I posted on the prop site, so I hope someone responds. Thanks for your help...