Radio keeps resetting when engine is running

dantrubak

Recruit
I have a 1988 bass tracker pro 17. *I put an aftermarket marine radio in it. *I have 3 deep cycle batteries. *One to crank the motor, one to run a minn kota power drive v2 and one running the radio, a lowrance fish finder and a cigarette outlet. The radio, lowrance and cigarette outlet the are all wired together under the dash *and running back to the battery in the rear compartment. I only have one positive and one negative running back to the battery to power these 3 things. *As soon as the engine is started the radio turns off and resets itself. And it continues doing so until the engine is turned off. The fish finder and the cigarette outlet remain working constantly. The radio will not. *As soon as you kill the engine and are just drifting or trolling, the radio, volume, controls, etc. work flawlessly. This may be a complete fluke, but today, i ran the boat in the driveway on the trailer with a hose hooked up to a set of muffs and the radio never reset or shut off. Again not sure if this was a complete fluke. Any ideas?

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Radio keeps resetting when engine is running

Next time it does that, use a multimeter and see how many volts the radio is seeing. The only thing that I can think of is that you have some kind of voltage drop and the radio isn't liking it enough to stay on. Double and triple check all of your spliced connections, too. Possibly the vibrations from engine running/driving are enough to jiggle something loose..?

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

It's also possible the motor is putting out too much voltage.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

It's also possible the motor is putting out too much voltage.

VERY interesting angle. Multimeter test is definitely in order.

rickryder

Commander

Are all of these batteries hooked to the motor/charging system??? .....one for the engine....one for the TM....and one for electronics.

I would try just running off the one batt to the electronics with it not connected to the charging system...just charge that one off a charger and see if it makes a difference.....that would rule out over/under charge,surges ect.