getting there!!

meggy73123

Cadet
I posted earlier had no spark on #1,3,5,cylinders on a merc. inline 6, I took the green wire coming from the cdi #2 and swapped it to #1 and it had spark,I did the same thing with #4 and 3 then with #6 and 5 they had spark, so all coils will fire, what does cylinder #1,3,5, have in common and #2,4,6, have in common with each other? would it be the trigger or the stator? slowly getting there I am 4 days in trying to solve the problem,no I'm just about lost, don't really want to take it to the local marine shop, he doesn't seem to be to knowledgeable about these and I'm not rich! anybody willing to help would be appreciated surly it cant be to much, thanks again meggy

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: getting there!!

You have only proven the coils are good, you still need to test the switchboxes and stator.

First, disconnect the White Bias wires linking the two switchboxes together, retest for spark, if you NOW have spark on ALL cyls the problem is a bad Bias circuit in the first switchbox, the one that always had spark. A bad Bias will block spark on the other switchbox.

If that did not solve the problem, switch the stator wires between the switchboxes and retest for spark. If spark switches sides, the problem is a bad stator.

The triggers are fine, a faulty trigger will drop two cyls, not three.

If you replace a switchbox, consider replacing both, the factory recommends replacing switchboxes together. Either of the old boxes will still work fine on a three cyl motor 75 - 90 HP as they do not use the Bias circuit.