Clickable Excel file?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Uhhhh. How would I do that? :confused:

I made a simple payback analysis for diesel re-powers or premiums vs. existing gasoline. That topic obviously comes up often here. I made a Marine and Auto/Truck example on the same file (two tabs). The idea was that I was going to post the file here so you all could play with it and see if it was accurate. And of course from then on I'll just ruin every single thread where this topic comes up by posting it. Well . . . best laid plans. You can't upload an Excel file. Sooooooo . . . I got to thinking :eek: and of course ShareFile or something like that would work, but I guess I'd really like it to be clickable and usable straight on the site.

Thoughts?

Edit: Oh, and if anybody wants to play with it now just PM me your email addy and I'll send it. Very simple example. Just payback period. I can do NPVs and ROIs too, but at this point it's just a simple one.

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Clickable Excel file?

You could always share it on a fileshare site,like megaupload or media fire..

then just paste the url for download.

NYBo

Admiral

The site supports MS Word .doc files as attachments. Can you save your spreadsheet in that format and retain the functionality of the formulas?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was thinking the same NYBo. Simple formulas, so maybe that would work. Any other ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Save it as an excel file and post it here like you would a picture

QC

Supreme Mariner

Not sure what you mean Don. I tried that, but still says "invalid file type". I could easily do an image, but then no one could change anything . . .

attachment.php

The yellow cells are for personal input. This only shows one example. This example is not real!! I was messing around with Marina fuel prices etc. Only shown as a response to Don's post. The point is you can put whatever numbers you want in if you could use the file by clicking. I'll send to anyone who wants to PM me their email address, but looking to avoid having to do that every time . . . Heck, if I could make it work, I guess it could be a sticky in the diesel section.

Attachments

• Repower table pic.jpg
    Repower table pic.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0

Don S

See if this will work for you. Click on the link not the image (or lack of).

If it does work for you and you can see my test file, save your Excel file as a .ods (OpenDocument Spreadsheet) file.

Attachments

• Book1.ods
    2.7 KB · Views: 0

QC

Supreme Mariner

Saw that, didn't believe when I Googled .ods that it would work properly. Looks like it does. Thank you!!!

Look for the Marine and Auto-Truck tabs on the bottom ;) I had to delete a few graphics to get below 9.8 kb (dang that's small). I think the Protected cells transferred over, but stick to the yellow cells. Please test and critique :)

Oh, and this is a simple payback. I understand ROI and NPV etc. this is just a first level and again, 9.2 kb . . .

Attachments

• Diesel Payback Calculator.ods
    9.2 KB · Views: 0

QC

Supreme Mariner

Maybe the most important cell on the Spreadsheet (Marine Tab) is "Efficiency gain". We can debate this number forever, so I think I am mostly interested in how you all would treat that.

The industry generally accepts 20 - 25% better than gasoline. This is on an energy basis, but since there is more energy in a gallon of diesel the actual benefit on a gallon basis is more like 30%. However!!!! This assumes that we are using state of the art engines in both examples. The other issue is that we are often considering taking out an old carbed gasser, and replacing with something newer. But is that all new? High tech? NA vs. Turbo? Aftercooled. etc. Heck I don't know what all of those combos are, and it could net 50% better "efficiency" per gallon. The Auto-Truck tab is easier because you can plug in Manufacturers info in some cases.

Thoughts on that issue?

Don S

That number is where the fun begins. I repowered a 28 ft Bayliner that had a 7.4 carbed single prop Bravo 2 gas engine in it. Cruised at 18-20 mph using 18 gal per hour.
The new engine was a D4 Volvo with a DPH dual prop drive getting 8.5 GPH doing 30 mph.

Watch that change your numbers around from automotive info.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agree ^^^ That's what I meant about older to newer tech. Makes this variable. What was total cost of repower Don? Important to know what your cost was, and what it would cost to get those items for most guys. I guess I am assuming that you got a good deal? What's the horsepower rating of the D4?

Don S

What was in the boat at the time was dead. So the guy was looking at a new 8.1L DP Volvo gas that was like 14 or 15K back then, or the D4-260hp DPH that listed out at right at 40K with what he added in instrumentation and all. Those are the engine packages, not counting any labor for any of it.

PS: That was not my boat, so there were no special deals, they are actual selling prices.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I think even if I plugged in a 100% improvement that would be tough to pencil unless he/she burned a LOT of fuel. I think that's the ultimate point. May sound good on the surface, but very hard to make it pay off unless it's a commercial application.

QC

Supreme Mariner

The closest thing I could find with gas power vs. diesel in a similar boat was these two Formula 400 Super Sports:

Twin 502s with Bravo 3s

Twin Volvo D6 DPS

At 30 MPH, they get 1.04 and 1.5 respectively. Similar weights, same hull. The diesel was heavier, but the 502s were 4 MPH faster. Pretty close examples though.

Seems like 50% in the Efficiency gain is fair. Play with all of the variables though. Fuel price, repower price, and especially the two inputs that make up total fuel (daily use x # of days).