Where did all the good magazines go? What do you guys read?

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but...

I was at the book store today and could only find one "general" boating magazine, Boating. There must be a dozen sailing magazines, plenty of fishing magazines, a few that cater to the yacht crowd, and a few for the go-fast crowd, but where are the magazines for the rest of us??? I was planning to subscribe to DIY Boater, but I have heard it went under. What do you guys read...other than iboats, of course?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where did all the good magazines go? What do you guys read?

i boats.

iboats has become the largest information source for do it your self-rs any where.
in fact;;;;with the information here.... a person could get a university degree with the information here...

in canada.....there is nothing for a DIY mag.

limited advertising market for the specific adds that you can print in a mag for that subject.

GTS225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I buy "Wooden Boat" magazine occasionally, but that's geared toward the sailing or classic boat crowd. I also hit up "Tinboats.net" board for some pretty good info regarding small metal boats. There's some pretty crafty guys modifying thier v-hulls and flat bottoms to make them more suitable for fishing.

Roger

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i boats.

iboats has become the largest information source for do it your self-rs any where.

Sometimes it just takes a real magazine,
and not a computer

A_dinosaur_reading_the_paper_while_sitting_on_the_toilet_110206-224406-950009.jpg

superbenk

Commander

I've heard Trailer Boats is ok. I get Boating magazine, but haven't found much else. I did see some Sports Boating magazine at my local grocery store, but it was all about new boats (reviews & not much advice or tips. Iboats really is my DIY source.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Another Wooden Boat mag fan here. I used to mooch my step father's cast off Power Boat Reports but it went under 4 or 5 years ago. I liked their independent tests and reviews of gear. A breath of fresh air compared to the breathless advertis....er I mean reporting you get in the glossy rags. Independence, however, don't pay the bills...:(

I'm with Don - balancing the laptop on your knees while on the throne just doesn't seem right...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If Apple was looking for another product, one the sold well at Fathers Day, how about the iPot?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I've heard Trailer Boats is ok. .

Out of business for about a year now. They used to be the #1 source. The rest of their subscription holders were given a "free" subscription to BOATING.

The only worthwhile mag left is BOATING WORLD. The rest all cater to yachts, not boats.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

I've heard Trailer Boats is ok.

I always enjoyed reading Trailer Boats but they were sold and the new owners quit publishing it last summer. Right after I renewed my subscription for 3 years of course.:facepalm:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

most of the magazines are now "advertorials" as someone put it--no real info, never a negative word about the product they (are paid) to review or the places they (are paid to) write about. "Saltwater fishing" is the one I read, but you have to take it with a grain of, well, you know.

tomdinwv

Sometimes it just takes a real magazine,
and not a computer

A_dinosaur_reading_the_paper_while_sitting_on_the_toilet_110206-224406-950009.jpg

Not a magazine, but for all your bathroom reading needs, may I suggest Uncle John's Bathroom Readers. All kinds of useless info on all kinds of subjects. I'm on the verge of starting a library in my bathroom. LOL

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

with more and more people turning to the internet, the down turn in spending on magazines due to tight budgets, and the drop off in advertizing, Magazines and other printed periodicles are dropping left and right.

it takes money to keep them going. without subscription and advertizing dollars, the presses dont stay running

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I think Boating World has shut sown as well. I read Boating and Southern Boating. I got a free subscription to PMY a few years ago. It keeps showing up because I go to FLIBS, but I can't wrap my head around the 2+ million dollar price tags.

Another decent one is Boat U.S. It's not very big and only comes out every other month (I think), but it's interesting.

dsiekman

Yeah, I get Boat US as well. I took a look at Southern Boating. It was the swimsuit issue, so not a lot of "valuable" content. Wow, did I just write that? :eek:

shrew

Lieutenant

I've had a number of subscriptions over the years. Slowly but surely, each one has folded up. Many of these magazines are owned by a larger publishing company. In some cases the entire publishing companies are being absorbed by another. When a publisher has duplicity, they roll hte less popular into the more popular and discontinue one of them. Bonnier is a big publisher, who replaced my Motorboating with "Yachting". The funny thing was, they also replaced Cruising World or another Cruising mag, with Yachting as well. Funny, I don't get TWO copies of Yachting. Most of the calssic boating mags are still maitained online, they simply discontinued printed circulation.

The printed media is dying. People are just not reading printed magazines and newspapers anymore. Extensive availability of news on dedicated cable channels and instant access to specific topics and articles online, as well as ipads and Ereaders is heralding the demise of the printed word. Heck, I don't even get manuals for applications anymore...I get a PDF.

Don S's dinosaur is SO accurate. Not only is print a dinosuar, but ironically that's where my magazines live. I read them in 5-10 minutes blocks of time. ;)

Ned L

Commander

I agree it's not relevent to most of the people here, but I get "Woodenboat" as well. Charter subscriber & still have issue #1 (and almost all of the issues to date).