BlueFinSpectrumRestoration

Strikenmike

Cadet
I have an older 16 foot Blue Fin Spectrum "panfish-style" boat with a seat on top of a box at the front, one at the back and a livewell in between. The boat is a stick-steer and is equipped with a 1987 25hp Mariner. Having electrical problems with the motor. I hope to save some money by converting my boat to a tiller drive and buy a new 15hp outboard. Smaller than what I had wanted, but times are tough. The rear seat is centered in the boat and is about 27 inches from the face of the existing motor.

What is the best location for the seat on a tiller boat like this? Distance from the motor? Off-set to port or starboard, and by how much? I am right handed but assume that I would steer with my left arm. Once I move the rear seat (assuming I can) (the box under the seat contains 2 batteries), will I have to move the seat in the bow and/or the middle live well in order to get smooth performance? Should I try to move my batteries to the bow to shift some weight?

Please help. This is going to get involved, and I need all the advice I can get. My initial concern is the proper location for the tiller/driver seat.

Thanks in advance.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: BlueFinSpectrumRestoration

blue fin spectrum restoration

hi mike....

welcome to iboats.

we can give you lots of suggestions....no worries.....but we will need pics of the boat.

each set up is different, so we will need to see what you are working with.