screwed or not?? VRO question

caretaker1

Cadet
Engine is a 96 Johnson 90 (J90TLED) While removing the carbs yesterday to clean them, the bottom of the vro pump broke off. The entire area where the pulse hose connects (not just the barb) came loose and after looking at it, looks to have just been glued in place. It was 5 mounting holes and the rest of the vro just have little plastic studs that slide down into those holes and looks to be glued into place. This piece may be called the air motor cover, but I cannot find anything about it in my repair manual. I can see nothing else at all that would hold it together. Can I just glue this back into place with some high quality epoxy, making sure not to get any on the diaphragm looking pieces inside or is this thing toast?

Second question, if it is toast, or if you just recommend replacing it, Is there a fuel pump that is NON vro that i can go back with? I have looked extensively through the forums, but can only find the fuel replacement part numbers for smaller outboards. Thanks for your time and expertise.

AlTn

Commander
Re: screwed or not?? VRO question

go to marineengine.com and find 1996 90 hp.....look at model no. BE90TLEDA Fuel Pump 88 hp...it list the non vro pumps..also, under the Sticky Top Secret Files is a thread on doing this conversion

caretaker1

Cadet

Thanks, i was confused when I looked that part up earlier and it had the small line about engines 25-55hp and I assumed that was all it covered. I see now that it will work for me. New to the outboard thing, appreciate the help. There are probably MILLIONS of dollars saved by people like me every year thanks to the wealth of knowledge on here. You guys are great!

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have a PM.

Pm me if interested