Xtra fuel container while afloat

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I live in Florida and the state statute reads:

327.66 Carriage of gasoline on vessels.?
(1)(a) A person shall not:
1. Possess or operate any vessel that has been equipped with tanks, bladders, drums, or other containers designed or intended to hold gasoline, or install or maintain such containers in a vessel, if such containers do not conform to federal regulations or have not been approved by the United States Coast Guard by inspection or special permit.

My question is what type container is considered as "approved by the United States Coast Guard"? I have a 12 gal tank and thought of carrying an additional 5 gal tank aft on the rear platform.

-Jim

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Xtra fuel container while afloat

Just about any standard red plastic fuel can equipped with a vent should be OK. The specific CG approved containers are the ones with quick-connect fittings for change over of fuel lines for an outboatd engine. Basically, they don't want you trying to fill your inboard tank from a gas can, spilling in all over the deck (explosion hazard) and into the water (pollution hazard).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

there are no fuel cans or jerry cans that are USCG approved that I am aware of from my searching. only outboard tanks, or factory rated fuel tanks.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

so don't carry a 5 gallon standard gas "jerry" can on the rear platform; it might attract the cops. Hide it inside instead.

Note that it says OR "do not conform to federal regulations or have not been approved by the United States Coast Guard." I think the standard can would comlpy with the first component. Anyway, you see boats carrying them all the time above deck; probably lots more below.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

there are no fuel cans or jerry cans that are USCG approved that I am aware of from my searching. only outboard tanks, or factory rated fuel tanks.

That sounds about right.

I suggest you contact either the state or USCG for a proper answer.

jim372

Petty Officer 2nd Class

why not buy 1 or 2
6 gal outboard tanks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That's it! The Wallyworld Blitz cans are not legal on a boat. Probably aren't safe either. As a matter of fact, those cans are not DOT or OSHA approved either, so if you work in a plant or own a landscaping business better not have them on your utility trailer either.

(I didn't make the rules so don't shoot the messenger....LOL)

If you want to be safe and legal, buy a 6 gallon OMC steel outboard fuel tank off E-bay. Throw away the hose (won't need it), then buy an OMC accessory spout and viola you have a nice can that pours easy.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have poured a lot of gas in my day out of 6 gallon boat cans and they do not pour easy. I'd stick with the basic.

Chip Chester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On an outboard-equipped boat, transfer of fuel from a 6-gal to another motor, like an integral-tank kicker, is best accomplished by obtaining another motor-side QC fuel fitting, and using the primer bulb as a pump to handle the transfer. Good control, no spills, and it doesn't take as long as you might think. Especially when you factor in all the contortions, funnels, spill cleanup, etc. into the equation.

Big boats with built-in tanks would need other techniques, of course.

Chip

shrew

Lieutenant

I think the key is definitely in the wording:

"if such containers do not conform to federal regulations...."

"...or..."

"...have not been approved by the United States Coast Guard by inspection or special permit."

I don't believe this is stating the container must be CG approved. Rather the container must be a Federally Approved gasoline container. If not, then the CG will only allow it if they have first inspected it or issue a permit for it. (I suspect they'd be issuing an inspection permit or sticker if it pased an inspection anyway.

I think this it prevent someone trying to rig a milk jug, or use something unsuited to store extra fuel. A empty pickle bucket or joint compound bucket if someone were dumb enough to try it, for example.