Anyone tow with a Honda Pilot?

Flynny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We're considering leasing a 2012 Honda Pilot. It will need to tow the boat in my signature on lots of short (10 minutes, 30 MPH) trips to the marina and then one long trip each year to the Sebago Lake area in Maine from Boston. Our current '02 Sonoma struggled a little bit on the hilly roads to the marina, but the Pilot has 60 more HP and about 60 more Ft.-Lbs. of torque, so I'm hoping it will perform better. The weight of the trailer is within the Pilot's 4500 pound rating. So does anyone here tow with a Pilot and have any opinions?

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anyone tow with a Honda Pilot?

Better check with the leasing company, don't think that they are going to allow towing.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Better check with the leasing company, don't think that they are going to allow towing.

I don't think they can even limit that, legally, if the vehicle is rated to tow.... Only had one leased vehicle (won't do that again!), but there was absolutely nothing in the contract regarding towing.

Since you are within the rating, I'd say absolutely use the lease vehicle! Its under warranty, and you will only own it for a short time.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could be smokin, he will have to check, had friends that went to Hawaii(photographer of nature)went to rent a 4x4 only problem was that it was not allowed of road. Don't know how they would tell unless it got stuck, but it was in the contract.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've known rental companies to not allow towing. Even when the rental is a Suburban with a factory hitch.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've known rental companies to not allow towing. Even when the rental is a Suburban with a factory hitch.

When my friend got back from Hawaii, he was implying that same thing, why rent 4X4's if they can go off the road, don't need it for snow. Guess it is that cool factor

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

"I don't think they can even limit that, legally"

It has nothing to do with "legal", it's by contract. It would take an unusually narrow consumer protection law to state that contracts can't include that language.

Here's how the game is played, both for towing and the off-road 4x4 example: They know you are going to do it. They have an escape hatch if you damage the vehicle while towing, etc. and they want to get out of warranty claims, etc. If you have transmission problems, they can use that contract clause to stick you with it even if there isn't a direct connection.

You may investigate whether the leasnig company has a rider for that.

I have seen warranties on small cars that say just installing a trailer hitch voids the drive train warranty. Doesn't mater if that's not fair or even logical; it's a contract: they said it, you signed it, now you agree with it.

NYBo

Admiral

Um, renting and leasing are two very different animals.

flightdoc

Seaman Apprentice

Well now that the thread is completely off topic.

I don't have a pilot but I do have a Mazda CX-9. Somewhat of the same vehicle set up. I tow my 1986 19 foot Bayliner cuddy with no real problems. A bit lighter than yours but still some weight. I found that I feel it when starting from a stop but that is to be expected. Hills don't really give me to much problems as long as I take my time and don't try to race up it. Wish I had beefier brakes and better gas mileage. I averaged 13 mpg towing last summer from Seattle to San Diego. Did a good job on that trip and that was the long way sight seeing

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ditto.

A pilot for your needs with an 18ft boat will be a dream to tow compared to the Sonata, add to that the Pilot comes standard with a hitch however I think you need to get AWD and the "tow pkg" option to use the 4500lb capacity (includes coolers)

RogersJetboat454

Commander

We're considering leasing a 2012 Honda Pilot. It will need to tow the boat in my signature on lots of short (10 minutes, 30 MPH) trips to the marina and then one long trip each year to the Sebago Lake area in Maine from Boston. Our current '02 Sonoma struggled a little bit on the hilly roads to the marina, but the Pilot has 60 more HP and about 60 more Ft.-Lbs. of torque, so I'm hoping it will perform better. The weight of the trailer is within the Pilot's 4500 pound rating. So does anyone here tow with a Pilot and have any opinions?

Little OT,
But what town on Sebago are you located?

IMHO, as long as the lease isn't against it, I don't see any reason why it would be an issue to tow with the Pilot. It's not like 95 to the lake is particularly hilly. 114 (short of the pass through Gorham), 35, and 302 up in Maine there aren't too bad either. Just need to watch your speed on the highway to make sure you don't overwhelm the brakes if you need to do a panic stop.

FastFission

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm towing a 19 ft Bayliner with a 2006 Pilot. We've just done a couple of fairly short trips, but I haven't really had any issue up to about 65 mph. One trip did involve some pretty decent hills, and I didn't feel like I was short on power. We have AWD and the towing package, which helps. I did notice that my gas mileage stinks while towing, but I suppose that's to be expected.

My only real issue is that we don't currently have brakes on the trailer, but I'm fixing that right now.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Towed a 17 foot Four Winns from Lake Hopatcong in NJ to Dunstable, MA (lots of long hills on that route, more than Boston to Sebago for sure) with a Pilot. Could barely tell it was there. Had no issues at all, I think it makes a great tow rig for smaller boats.

Have fun on Sebago, perhaps we'll see you at Frye's Leap Cafe or Rick's Cafe.

Flynny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you. I was wating to see if the topic could get back on track. I don't think the salesman at Honda would be flauting the towing package if towing under the lease wasn't allowed.

And thanks for the opnions guys. The 4500 rating as oposed to 5000 or higher on other SUVs concerned me but it sound like it should handle our boat decently. The brochure's back cover actually has a picture of a boat next to the Pilot, but its funny because the rig is obviusly way over 4500. Gotta love advertising.

We actually don't go to Sebago lake by the way. I said area because we go to Kezar lake but Sebago is close enough and everyone knows where it is. But I have been to Frye's to it's ok! :D

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

We actually don't go to Sebago lake by the way. I said area because we go to Kezar lake but Sebago is close enough and everyone knows where it is. But I have been to Frye's to it's ok! :D

We're mostly on Highland Lake in Bridgton, but splash it in Long/Sebago at least once a year.

Cobalt232

Cadet

You'll be fine. I towed my 2006 Sea Ray 200 Select which was 5100 pounds and it towed it quite well. If you google "pilot towing sea ray" under images it's the silver one with bikes on the roof and the boat with tower. That Sea Ray was very heavy, but it was surprisingly good considering it was over the capacity. My new Cobalt 232 dwarfs my V8 4Runner, but is under the capacity. It, however, gets terrible mileage!!!!

Cobalt232

Cadet

BTW - the trailer package will void the warranty if not installed. The $1300 is worth it.