alpha one pulls hard to the left

Status
Not open for further replies.

frbrd93

Cadet
I have a 89 wellcraft 18', i/o 3.7L merc/alpha one. The Boat has been under cover. I had the impeller and fluids changed in the outdrive and now the boat pulls hard to the left. Right off idle, the more throttle, the more it keyholes left. I put all the weight on the right side, and it's a little better, but it's visibly leaning way to the right (5 kids and two adults). I adjusted the trim tab, no difference. I've check the to see if anything was bent, left off, steering linkage, checked the motor mounts. Everything is fine. I took it back to the boat shop and he said it was water in the hull. But it hasn't been outside in the weather, and it went straight before the impeller was changed. I also weighed each side of the trailer tires, boat sitting centered on the trialer (i have truck scales @ my work) with only 20lbs difference between each side. Please help, I hate to cut into the floor if that's not the problem. Do anyone have any ideas? Could something been done to the outdrive to make this happen? Thank you

Alumarine

Captain
Re: alpha one pulls hard to the left

If it's like my 140 sterndrive they have to remove the trim tab to change the impeller.<br />Try adjusting your trim tab and see if that helps.<br /><br />EDIT: Oops sorry, I see you adjusted the trim tab.<br /> Gotta get new eyes.

vipzach

Lieutenant

look at the skeg, the little black looking fin below the prop. Mine has a slight bend in it and pulls to the left.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Did you adjust the trim tab the right way? Is the skeg bent at all?.Welcome to iboats :) .....JK

frbrd93

Cadet

I checked and measured the skeg. Not bent. The boat mechanic can't figure it out either. Could he have gotten something in the outdrive out of adjustment? Could the shaft be shimmed wrong making the motor torque pull the outdrive to one side? Thanks, D

frbrd93

Cadet

And yes, I adjusted the trim tab both ways in small increaments and no difference at all (except when off the throttle)

liner85

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry to post this, since I know you said you adjusted the trim tab... but I have to reiterate what marc c already posted. The trim tab was removed during the impeller change, which is when your problem began. I don't think this is a coincidence.<br /><br />Trim tab adjustment is not always intuitive. (At least it wasn't for me, the first time around). I am willing to bet that if you adjust the trailing edge of the trim tab as far to the port (left) as it will go, that your boat will no longer pull hard to the left. In fact, it may pull somewhat to the right. (In which case you can begin tweaking the adjustment in 'small increments').<br /><br />A long shot might be a problem with your power steering system, if you have one.<br /><br />Again- sorry to suggest something you say you've already tried.

frbrd93

Cadet

Thanks guys....but really, I spent hours on the lake adjusting the trim tab. I know alot about trim tabs because I also had to put one on a taylorcraft rudder (airplane).

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

"Pulls to the left" <br />physical force on the steering wheel or drifts to the left under power. Maybe the hyd steering slave needs a slight adjustment.

frbrd93

Cadet

Steering wheel will rip out of your hand to spin to the left. And it's cable steering (i wish it was power).It's really a head scratcher. Thanks

liner85

Seaman Apprentice

frbrd 93-<br /><br />During your adjustment efforts, at some point did you try it with the trailing edge of the tab all the way to the left? I'm just curious...

liner85

Seaman Apprentice

Definitely a head-scratcher then. Good luck!

Bondo

Staff member

Was the Zink tab replaced,..?????<br />A different Size maybe,....?????<br /><br />Any Play in the Gimbel Ring/ Housing,..????

frbrd93

Cadet

Mechanic used the same zinc trim tab. No play in the gimbel housing.

Ralph 123

Captain

Did you check your hull over to see if there is some hydrodynamic problem? Just a thought...

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Did you change your prop? add a hydrofoil? change the trim angle? Sounds as though the boat is running bow down.

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

does the boat sit in the water level with no load and not running?

frbrd93

Cadet

There's no visible hull deformation; sat on the trailer in the shop for 2 years. Hydrofoil has been on the boat since bought and it was fine before.....could something have been done to the trim/tilt adjustment when the mechanic did the impeller? Thanks for all your ideas, D

Status
Not open for further replies.