All steel home built outboard stand...easy to build with a 110v Mig welder. Pics*

Billet Works

Cadet
Well, I'm getting ready to rebuild my carbs, work on the fuel pump, replace the internal harness, rewire the tilt pump, etc, and wanted to make a stand to make the work and testing a lil easier.

I didn't feel like cutting a lot of steel so I went to my local metal supermarkets and had them cut me .120 wall 1.5" square tubing - 4 pieces at 24" long and 4 pieces at 36" long. I also used 4 pieces of .120 wall 1x1.5" rectangle at 7" long, 2 pieces of .080 wall 1" square at 12" long (with 45 degree angle cuts on both ends), and 4x 200 pound castors (2 swivel and 2 straight).

Two hours of clamping parts together, welding it up, and shooting paint on it and here's what I ended up with.

Don

f62e6538.jpg

7bee263a.jpg

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: All steel home built outboard stand...easy to build with a 110v Mig welder. Pics*

Nice job. Will you be mounting a piece of plywood to clamp the motor to? What size motor are you working on?

What brand welder do you have? I've been looking for one for awhile and not sure which one to go with.

Billet Works

Cadet
Re: All steel home built outboard stand...easy to build with a 110v Mig welder. Pics*

Thanks, I clamped the motor directly to those middle two uprights. I pulled the motor off the boat today, mounted it on the stand, and wheeled it from the back yard through the house and into the garage.

The motor I built it for is a mercury 1150 thunderbolt. The outer two uprights line up with my titl brackets so I can test everything on the stand. I'll try and take some pics tomorrow.

My welder is the biggest miller 110v setup that home depot sells. I've built multiple boat and atv trailers with it as well. A reasonable good mig are well worth it if you like to make stuff. That stand handles the 115 hp motor with ease and total cost with paint was 50 bucks and 2 hours of easy labor.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

NIce job

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

That beats my old wooden sawhorse!

Billet Works

Cadet

Thanks guys. I feel like the 2 hours and 50 bucks of materials was worth it. It's very stout and so easy to move around. Here's a couple of pics with my 1150 on board. I ran compression tests on the motor while on the stand the other day. Worked like a champ!

5a2f6758.jpg

e86924b1.jpg

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice job!
I built a stand similar to that but made out of wood. The only problem with mine is it slightly leans to one side.
do those weels have brakes?

Billet Works

Cadet

Thanks! Speaking of leaning, dont let the fisheye view of the phone camera fool ya...this thing is straight and true from all angles. :)

The swivel castors on the one end have brakes on them.

I'm knee deep in carb, ignition, wiring, and fuel pump fun now...wife is hoping I can take here and my 5 year old lil girlie to the lake next weekend. Gonna be a tight squeeze on time given the fact that I also need to put new seats in.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good luck to ya!!!!:)