350 mag block problem

sdsowards

Recruit
Hello this my first post, I have 1999 Regal 6.8 ventura with a 5.7 mag mpi / Bravo 3 450 hours used in salt water. I was having over heating problems which was trouble shot down to the water tube in the transom assy strangled by corrosion. I put the boat in the shop for repairs due to the fact that the drive and engine had to removed to replace the tube, I also wanted the trim limit/sensor replaced. After the engine was removed the mechanic found that the anti knok sensor had been leaking and needed to be replaced when the sensor was removed a 2" divit of rust/block came out with it and had a small crack which where the leak came from. The shop said the sensor cant be reinstalled and the block is comprimised. They are recomending engine repower with a mercruiser rebuilt long block. So my 1300.00 repair has topped 6000.00. has anyone else had this type of problem and is there a better option. I have had the boat since 2003 with few problems other than reg maint. any thoughts would appr.

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: 350 mag block problem

Have you seen this? See if you can get some pics!
I don't see many saltwater issues so it sounds a little extereme to me. Not saying it can't happen!
I am familiar with the drain set-up at that point for "winterizing". I'm thinking that the block wasn't totally empty of water before they put the plug back in.
You have the knock sensor screwed into 1 side of the fitting & drain plug on the other side.
Proper way to drain it is, disconnect sensor & remove the brass fitting to drain. Give it a blast of air just move the "CRUD" out of the way!

sdsowards

Recruit

I live in florida so we really dont have to drain the block to winterize, I went down to the shop to see what they were talking about, right where the t fitting screws in to the block there is a 2" round divit abut 1/2 the thickness of the block corroded away it looks like it had been seeping for a long time when the engine is in the boat you cant see it, I wish I had taken a picture. It just seems there should be some better solution than to replace what is otherwise a good engine. I'll call the shop manager and have him send me a pic the first part of next week. Thanks

Pete104

Lieutenant

It's Fla now.
I beleive what your saying but it's really odd/strange. Freeze damage with GM engine runs lengthwise not round.