87 force 125 leaking oil from little hole on lower uint

lowlife885

Recruit
i am new to i boats and boating all together. I have had this boat for a few months now. Just got done putting new floor and transom in it. Its a 87 phantom fish and ski. Runs like a top but i just noticed oil leaking from one of the six little holes. That are about a inch away from the bolts that mount the lower unit to the leg. Was wanting to see what people thought before i take it a part and look in side. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 87 force 125 leaking oil from little hole on lower uint

Could be just some fuel/oil residue from the exhaust. If it's black and smells like gas, shouldn't be a problem. If it's yellowish or off white and smells like sulfur, then it could be gear case oil. Now that may be a problem. Could be a gear case seal that's leaking. You can drain the gear case oil and look for water in the oil. Gear case oil mixed with water is usually a milky, creamy looking fluid. Dark brown or black oil is normal.

lowlife885

Recruit

it smells life surfer i am going to pull lower unit and look at the drive shaft seals and try to find a leak the oil it doesn't look to have water in the lower unit

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Drain the oil first.
What color?
Any water?
Possible just the drain seal.
Drain and pressure test before you try to fix.J