1990 bayliner trophy saltshaker w/120 force

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the new to me boat up and running today and out on the lake.
1) the wife and are are starting this new thing called a budget so I doubt ill get to fill the boat up with fuel to do my own test. If you have the same boat or something close what rpm gets the best mileage.
2) Taking on water...how much water is to much? I don't think its enough to worry about sinking. A gallon or so in a couple hours. But when do you make the call that's its not a seeping drain plug but the skins getting ready to peel off the shell at WOT?
Video of my ride.
http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/...ew&current=photobucket-1232-1335658836668.mp4

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 bayliner trophy saltsharker w/120 force

Somewhere around 3300-3800 rpm is usually the most fuel efficient, if the engine is appropriately sized for the boat, and propped correctly.

Boat does not look to be underpowered in the video. Perhaps a little over propped.

If you were running wide open at 4700 rpm, then I would say you could drop prop pitch a couple inches to get your WOT rpm up above 5000. THis will help hole shot.

What exactly is a bayliner trophy saltshaker?

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

19.5 ft C.C. It will get into the red if you open it up, I had it backed down a touch. The trim doesn't work either so its all the way down all the time.
photobucket-908-1332043862808.jpg

photobucket-1630-1335665769223.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

There shouldn't be any water in the boat. The water is supposed to stay on the outside of the hull. If you could trim the motor up, you'll pick up a few more MPH. Trimming it up allows more of the hull to come up out of the water. Less drag=faster.

Nice looking boat. Never seen that particular model before.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Slow trolling and sitting still didnt take on water. I had the cover off the whole time so I could keep an eye on the inside of the hull since its the first time I took it out. It only seemes to take water after a hard run.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

LOL, I see you tried to correct your spelling mistake.

Unfortunately it didn't change on your original title.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:) yep. I could have sworn it said saltsharker I had to look to see I was wrong.

Looking online I see lots of boats that look like mine but none say saltshaker.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The trim motor can be fixed.RRitt repairs them.
Does it make any noise or just clicks???Tell us more about what it does and won't do.
Taking on water.A gallon for a few hours aint much.
Clear silicone around every drain plug that sticks out around the boat.
Around the motor too.
I had a live well drain start leaking on mine.
Did it only when I was aboard.Drove me nuts,then was walking around the boat and just reached up and touched the drain.
Loose.It was comming out about 1/4inch and letting lots of water in.
When I was in the boat it was enough weight to make it go under water and leak.
Have seen that boat before but not the Saltsharker decal!!
My boat runs great about 4200.Not fast but steady.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The trim motor can be fixed.RRitt repairs them.
Does it make any noise or just clicks???Tell us more about what it does and won't do.
y.
Well, it started out it would leak down but atleast I could raise and lower the motor. Then it quilt working and started to click. I took the top off the motor and the plastic part the brushes and wires are attached to was broke in about three places and one wire was broken from the metal bracket that holds the brush and spring. I took the pieces and laminated some plastic I traced out from a lightbulb package with epoxy. Using a small piece of wire I tried to tie the broken wire back to the bracket to see if it worked. It does off and on. I need to get a soldering iron to make it work all the time. Once that's done, the tilt works to raise and lower but will leak down in a few minutes. The trim piston does not move at all.

RRitt

Captain

trim should go out about 3" and stop. if you lift motor all the way and block with wood then you should be able to see the trim piston out. you should not see it retract because the engine will lower first.

your electric trim motor is pretty much ruined because of cracked brush card. The cost of parts will put you near $100 and a new one is only $140ish. Your drift down is either rust spots on your ball valves or worn out check valves in the valve body (AKA hydraulic pump).

I'm not going to be doing any more force trimm pump assy (motor + vavle body) in the future. It simply costs too much to do full reman. The chinese motor may not be as good as a true reman., but it is definitely better than a cheap or bad rebuild. So I am dropping Force trim motors. I will be dumping off what small inventory I have on ebay over the next few weeks. I'll probably keep doing valve bodies if I can figure out a way to reduce rebuild times. I really don't like the chinese valve body quality.

so anyway, you could buy a new chinese motor and that will get your trim working well enough to get on and off the trailer. you can fix or replace the valve body at any time ($100ish). It won't harm other parts of boat to have drift down.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I soldered the wires back today and it seemed to work fine other than leaking down. The plastic seemed to be holding up fine for now. The trim piston stared to work also. It my have been locked up from sitting for five years.