Making my windshield removable...

FishNotWork

Seaman Apprentice
Hi -

I have a 2006 16' Smokercraft with a windshield - good little boat. I've owned it for just about 1 month, so I'm very new.

I pulled it from CO to Flaming Gorge Res. in Utah (7hrs) last week and because of its high profile I felt like I was hauling a barn behind me all the way. Especially going against the wind I feel this thing dragging - no doubt because of the upright windshield - see the pic.

It would be really nice if I could mount the windshield with some quick release hardware so I could stow it when hauling long distances and set it up for fishing. Going to Nebraska in a week and it got me thinking about some ways to remove it for the trip there and back.

Is there any hardware that you guys could recommend?!

Here is a picture:
Smokercraft-windshield.JPG

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Making my windshield removable...

I pulled it from CO to Flaming Gorge Res. in Utah (7hrs) last week and because of its high profile I felt like I was hauling a barn behind me all the way. Especially going against the wind I feel this thing dragging - no doubt because of the upright windshield - see the pic.

The first thing that popped into my old geezer brain when I read your post was what are you using for a tow vehicle because I find it surprising that a 16ft tinney would be that noticeable. Regardless, I looked at this same problem when trying to fit a 18ft WA cruiser through a standard garage door opening. My plan was to use SS piano hinges on each section of the windshield and wingnuts on the supports. I never pulled the trigger on that boat so cannot tell you how feasible it is. Let us know what you do. Good luck!

FishNotWork

Seaman Apprentice

My plan was to use SS piano hinges on each section of the windshield and wingnuts on the supports.

Thanks, I suppose you mean stainless-steel piano hinges. I was thinking some wing nuts that would secure it in place in 3-4 places per side so it can be taken off completely, not just lowered.

Chip Chester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can arrange to fold it forward, with decent stainless piano hinges across the bottom, move your little antenna, and work out possible interference with the railing, then you might have a plan. An over-center clamp with latch would hold the support "wings" tightly when in-place, and the supports at the pass-thru could be replaced with stainless rod, with QC connections to the windshield. It just might work. Take care to make sure all of the connection points don't allow any 'play', but rather are snug, robust connections. If you can buy it at Home Depot, it's the wrong part for the job. Look at real marine suppliers, Jeep windshield mounting hardware (?), rock-and-roll road case hardware, auto racing, etc...

Chip

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

IMO you're over thinking this. This problem can be resolved very simply with a nice tight fitting cover/custom cover. There is a night and day difference on my Lund when I tow with or without the cover. Without the cover there is deffinately more drag. With the cover she goes down the road like a bullet.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

IMO you're over thinking this. This problem can be resolved very simply with a nice tight fitting cover/custom cover. There is a night and day difference on my Lund when I tow with or without the cover. Without the cover there is deffinately more drag. With the cover she goes down the road like a bullet.

Absolutely +1 It will even serve to protect you on a rough day if needed.