4.5 mercury wont start please help

chrisking

Recruit
I have an older 4.5hps mercury outboard that runs great but when you start it cold you have to take the top off and spray gas in the carb. after that it will start fine but if it gets cold again you have to do it all over again.

River Boy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 4.5 mercury wont start please help

No thermostat so those 4.5s are cold natured. Mine needs a lot of choke to get it started and up to temp on anything but a hot day. Your problem is in the fuel delivery system somewhere. A carb rebuild, make sure all the fuel hoses and connections are not cracked, leaking or dissolved by the ethenol. These things would probably take care of it and are cheap to do. Modern gasoline is not kind to 1980s vintage rubber gas hose or carbuerator parts.

Does the primer bulb stay pumped up? If it doesn't that's a sign of a leak somewhere or a weak fuel pump,
Is the choke functioning properly?
Got a manual?

chrisking

Recruit
Re: 4.5 mercury wont start please help

Thanks for your input. I have replaced the diaphragm and I think all of the hoses the choke on the motor is pretty simple so I dont really think it is that. My next step is to replace the gas tank and line. We have had the carb. off of the motor quite a few times cleaned it very well I by no means am a mechanic and am hoping to get this little motor going to add a little value to my small boat to try to sell it to fund a bigger boat. Thanks for the help. No manual for the motor I think I will try to locate one.