Rustoleum Marine vs. Valspar Tractor Implement paint

wiesmanr

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the process of painting my aluminum boat and have the primer and white coats on, but deciding on the blue coat. I have been using the Valspar Tractor Implement Primer and Paints so far. The paint is working and looking great following Woodonglass's paint tips and mixing ratio with the hardener. The only problem is I don't think I will like the Ford Blue on the boat. I would like to go with a Navy Blue. How good is the Rustoleum Marine paint compared to the Valspar Tractor Implement? Will the same mixing ratio with the hardener work for the Rustoleum? Any suggestions? Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rustoleum Marine vs. Valspar Tractor Implement paint

You can make the Valspar Ford Blue Darker.

Get a Pint or Quart of Black and White. Start with 1/2 cup of Blue, Add two Tablespoons of Black and One Tablespoon of White. Mix the black and white first to get gray then add that to the blue to darken it. If not dark enuf add another tablespoon of Black. Keep your mixing ratios recorded until you get the shade the way you want it and then you'll be able to repeat it. Really not that hard to do.

wiesmanr

Seaman Apprentice

I think I might try going with the Rustoleum Marine Navy Blue as that is the color I'm going for. That way I know that I will have the same color through out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Will you be using the Hardener? I would highly recommend you do.

wiesmanr

Seaman Apprentice

yes, I will use the same mix ratio of paint, acetone and harderner used for the Valspar. Or do you recammend something else?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well you don't have to use the Rustoleum Marine Paint and pay more. The Rustoleum Industrial Oil based enamel is almost exactly the same formula as the Valspar and that's what most of the people use instead of the Marine paint.