hydro tilt wont release

pappamike

Recruit
I just boat a new Yamaha,25 hp,4 stroke,tiller,el. start. I am 200 mi. from the dealer so I want to try here for my answer. The engine has the gas support lift cyl. I took the boat out for the low speed break in and tilted it up when I got done and it sat for a week. I tried to lower it today but it will only drop down about 4 inches. It's almost like something is stuck or the gas in the cyl. is equalized. I can raise it up all the way but it will only go down 5-7 inches. This leaves the prop only in the water 2 inches. I can move the lock lever to the lock position and it locks the motor in that positio,however when I move the lever to the unlock position,the motor can be raised up but only drops down about 5-7 inches and stops. Help please, I dont want to have to make the 400 mi round trip to the dealer.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: hydro tilt wont release

gas support lift cyl is new to me, never heard of that on a motor. Only power tilt and trim
Could you post your model #

maybe you have manual tilt and you have it in shallow water drive

Read your owners manual

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: hydro tilt wont release

Call your dlr and ask him or else Yamaha customer service. Must be something new cause I never heard of it either.