1986 Evinrude 8 HP Water Passages

Island_oki2000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Been working on my kicker, replacing impeller, and trouble shooting why it wont spit water. Got another question. I took the lower unit off and was blowing through the passages from the top of the motor down through the mid section pipe that connects to the lower unit pump housing. When I plugged the hole at the bottom and blew threw the top water passage, air was escaping. I assumed I would not be able to blow through the passage. When I took my finger off I could feel the air coming out the pipe too. So the question is, should that be air tight when I plug the bottom pipe with my finger? If so, what can I do to see what the problem is? DO I have to drop the entire mid section for that?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Evinrude 8 HP Water Passages

Air would also be escaping at the point where the engine normally "spits" water.

Island_oki2000

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nope, that's where I disconnected the line and blew back through the engine block down into the motor. I can definately feel and hear air escaping inside the mid section from the lines. Is that normal or ok?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Water goes up the water tube... it has the air/exhaust/water outlet where you can see the water escape tell tale... it also blows down thru the long exhaust housing to help cool that area, otherwise the housing would get so hot the paint would burn off. Sounds normal to me.

Island_oki2000

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Awesome, that is very promising new Joe. Thank you very much for the reply. Now if I can only get the thing started again to see if the impeller is fixed. I think it might be flooded. The guy I bought it from had cut the kill switch wires, so the only way to shut off the motor is pull the choke all the way out.

I pulled the plugs and they are wet, I still need to make sure I'm getting spark and then get'er running to see if she starts peeing.

Island_oki2000

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Finally...got some new plugs, put it back together and it started on the first pull. Took about 15 seconds and then it started peeing strong. Got everything ready now, plus an extra impeller and 2 extra spark plugs.