1986 E140TLCD Fuel/ Carb problem

rtek816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I rebuilt this engine last year, bored all 4 holes .030" over, new pistons, rings, bearings, carb kits and gaskets. I had approx. 100 hours on the rebuild and the engine started sputtering and wouldn't rev up to full RPM. A reed block dropped both screws last fall. I took the manifold off and replaced the gaskets and loctited the screws on all 4 blocks over the winter. Reassembled and ever since, this thing eats oil and stutters or sneezes at idle. Sounds like an air leak that I cannot find. I put a clear hose on the inlet side of the pump and I don't see any bubbles after I pump it up and run it on the muffs. Engine runs to 5800 RPM W/ 17 pitch prop (in the water). Pushes my 21' Starcraft @43.5 MPH (GPS) which is where I think it should be. I took the airbox off today and there were several ounces of oil in the bottom. The pickup tube is intact and connected. I also noticed mixed fuel in the clear filter at the inlet side of the pump. It seems to siphon the gas back to the tank during transport. I do put the engine down when I get home. The carb bowls gave me some grief as they are slightly warped if i tighten the screws too much. I adjusted the floats to be level w/ the body upside down. I can pump the bulb, it gets hard and I don't see any leaks. Do I need to lower the float level? I also replaced 2 coils several weeks ago as the starboard side wouldn't spark at idle on the timing light. Didn't make a difference, still ran the same, great at high speed and still stutters/ sneezes and stalls at idle. Any help is certaintly appreciated. Joe Reeves, Boobie and others, I thank you for getting me this far. It's been a great project and I know I'm probably only a couple hundred $$$ short of a perfect running 1986 140HP Evinrude. Thanks guys, Bob